From Raxacoricofallapatorius with Love
|"From Raxacoricofallapatorius with Love"|
|The Sarah Jane Adventures charity special|
Ronnie Corbett unmasking as Slitheen.
|Writer||Gareth Roberts and Clayton Hickman|
|Executive producer(s)||Russell T Davies
|Series||Comic Relief Special|
|Originally broadcast||13 March 2009|
"From Raxacoricofallapatorius with Love" is a special one-off episode from Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures. It was the first Doctor Who spin-off to produce a special for Comic Relief and was broadcast on 13 March 2009 as part of Red Nose Day 2009.
The gang are talking to Mr Smith when suddenly there is a breach in the attic. Mr Smith identifies the disturbance as a teleport and a diplomat named Ranius (or Rani) (played by Ronnie Corbett) appears. He states that he represents the Galactic Alliance and gives them all gifts for defending the Earth so valiantly. He then pulls up a chair to talk to them and experiences apparent flatulence. Sarah Jane, Clyde, Rani and Luke all notice the similarity of the constant flatulence with that of a Slitheen wearing a skin suit, which Rani denies quite strongly. K-9 materialises and confirms Smith's identification, but Rani states all dogs should be put on a lead and clamps K-9.
After further interrogation Rani immobilises Sarah Jane's, Luke's, Clyde's and Rani's feet using the gifts he had given them and reveals himself to be a Slitheen after all, unzipping his forehead to reveal a diminutive Raxacoricofallapatorian and stating his plan to steal K-9 and the information it contains. Thinking swiftly, Sarah Jane manages to use her sonic lipstick to release their feet clamps and clamp Rani's feet. Clyde then throws Rani's bowler hat at a switch on Mr Smith, teleporting Rani away and releasing the clamp on K-9.
The script includes several references to The Two Ronnies. Corbett's character name, Rani, is a pun on Ronnie, highlighted when he claims that he and Sarah's human friend Rani Chandra could be classed as "The Two Ranis". The story Ambassador Rani tells is also a reference to The Two Ronnies - both the visual of Corbett sitting in the chair and his mention of "Fork Handles" (or Four Candles). Finally, at the end of the scene, Sarah Jane utters Ronnie Barker's catchphrase "...and it's goodnight from him".
The scene also makes two references to Red Nose Day. The gifts bestowed on Sarah and her friends are Comic Relief deely boppers, and the final shot of the scene is K-9 sporting a Red Nose.
- "Ronnie meets K9 for a Comic Relief Special!". Doctor Who Magazine (406): 6. 1 April 2009.
- Hickman, Clayton (19 March 2009). "Re: The Big Two questions re the Comic Relief Special" (FREE REGISTRATION REQUIRED). The Doctor Who Forum at Outpost Gallifrey. Retrieved 19 March 2009.
It was "From Raxacoricofallapatorius with Love".[dead link]
- Hickman, Clayton (15 March 2009). "@benjamin_cook". Twitter. Retrieved 20 March 2009.
Official title was "From Raxacoricofallapatorius With Love" or "Ron With The Wind"!
- "Special Sarah Jane Adventure". BBC. 13 February 2009. Retrieved 13 February 2009.
- From Raxacoricofallapatorius With Love on TARDIS Data Core, an external wiki
- "Comic Relief Special" at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- "From Raxacoricofallapatorius With Love" at Doctor Who: A Brief History of Time (Travel)