From the Beginning (Small Faces album)
|From the Beginning|
|Compilation album by Small Faces|
|Released||2 June 1967|
IBC Studios, Portland Place, London
|Genre||Rock, rhythm and blues, psychedelic pop, beat|
Steve Marriott, Ronnie Lane
|Small Faces chronology|
From the Beginning was the (unofficial) retrospective album released by English mod, rhythm and blues band Small Faces in June 1967 on Decca Records. The album rose to Number 17 in the UK Album Chart.
The album was released by Don Arden on Decca after the group had made a switch to the Immediate label headed by Andrew Loog Oldham. The album contains their hit records on Decca including their number one song "All or Nothing". The album also includes a cover of Del Shannon's classic hit song "Runaway".
- Decca Records (vinyl) (mono) - Catalogue No. LK 4879
- Side one
- "Runaway" (Max Crook, Del Shannon)
- "My Mind's Eye"
- "Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow"
- "That Man"
- "My Way of Giving"
- "Hey Girl"
- "(Tell Me) Have You Ever Seen Me"
- Side two
- "Come Back And Take This Hurt Off Me" (Don Covay, Ron Miller)
- "All or Nothing"
- "Baby Don't You Do It" (Holland-Dozier-Holland)
- "Plum Nellie" (Steve Cropper, Al Jackson, Jr., Booker T. Jones, Lewie Steinberg)
- "Sha-La-La-La-Lee" (Kenny Lynch, Mort Shuman)
- "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" (Smokey Robinson)
- "Whatcha Gonna Do About It" (Potter, Ian Samwell)
- Steve Marriott - vocals, guitar
- Ronnie Lane - bass guitar, backing vocals, lead vocal on tracks 4-5
- Kenney Jones - drums and percussion
- Ian McLagan - keyboards, backing vocals except on tracks 10 and 14
- Jimmy Winston - backing vocals, keyboards on track 14, lead vocal and rhythm guitar on track 10
- 1967 Format LP Label/Deram - Catalog # 4633
- 1967 Format LP Label/Decca - Catalog # 4879
- 1990 Format CD Label/Polygram - Catalog # 820766
- 1997 Format CD Label/Deram - Catalog # 844633
- 1997 Format CD Label/PolyGram - Catalog # 820766
- 1997 Format CD Label/London Records - Catalog #820 766
- 1997 Format CD Label/Polygram Intl. - Catalog # 844633
- 2006 Format CD Label/Universal/Polygram - Catalog #9069
- 2012 Format 2 CD Deluxe Edition Label/Universal/Sanctuary Records
- Paolo Hewitt John Hellier (2004). Steve Marriott - All Too Beautiful.... Helter Skelter Publishing ISBN 1-900924-44-7.
- Paolo Hewitt/Kenney Jones (1995) small faces the young mods' forgotten story - Acid Jazz ISBN 0-9523935-0-6
- The Small Faces Official Site
- The Small Faces - Room For Ravers
- The Darlings of Wapping Wharf Laundrette
- Official Steve Marriott Site