From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (1973 film)
|From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler|
Cover of the 2000 DVD release. For home video, the film is known as The Hideaways.
|Directed by||Fielder Cook|
|Produced by||Charles G. Mortimer Jr.|
|Written by||Blanche Hanalis
E. L. Konigsburg (story)
|Music by||Donald Devor|
|Cinematography||Victor J. Kemper|
|Edited by||Eric Albertson|
|Distributed by||Cinema 5|
|Release dates||September 27, 1973|
|Running time||105 minutes|
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (released as: The Hideaways in Home video releases) is a 1973 American children's film based on E. L. Konigsburg's novel From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. It tells the story of a girl and her brother who run away from home to live in the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art and discover what they think is a lost treasure. For home video releases, the film was retitled The Hideaways.
The movie, following the plot of the book by the same name, starts with young teenager Claudia Kinkaid (Sally Prager) feeling unappreciated at her home in New Jersey, so she decides to run away, taking along her younger brother Jamie (Johnny Doran). They run away to New York City, and end up at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. They stay in the museum for several nights, sleeping in beds featured in the museum, hiding from museum guards, and bathing in the fountain. For money, they grab coins out of the bottom of the fountain and use them to get food out of the vending machine. Eventually, Claudia finds a statue of an angel she believes was carved by Michelangelo, so she decides to find the previous owner of the statue. This owner, named Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (Ingrid Bergman), tells Claudia and Jamie that she will leave them the secret of the angel statue in her will if they give her a full account of their adventure, and then has her driver take them home.
- Ingrid Bergman as Mrs. Frankweiler
- Sally Prager as Claudia Kincaid
- Johnny Doran as Jamie Kincaid
- George Rose as Saxonburg
- Georgann Johnson as Mrs. Kincaid
- Richard Mulligan as Mr. Kincaid
- Madeline Kahn as Schoolteacher
- Bruce Conover as Kevin Kincaid
- Mike Hammett as Brucie
- Donald Symington as Museum director
- Linda Selman as Museum secretary
From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler was also adapted into a 1995 television movie starring Lauren Bacall.
- "Rotten Tomatoes". Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "IMDb "From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler"". Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "IMDb "The Royal Tenenbaums"". Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler at the Internet Movie Database
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler at AllMovie
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler at the TCM Movie Database