|County of Frontenac|
Location of Frontenac County
|County seat||Glenburnie (City of Kingston)|
|• Warden||Bud Clayton|
|• Deputy Warden||Denis Doyle|
|• Land||3,787.79 km2 (1,462.47 sq mi)|
|• Density||39.5/km2 (102/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Frontenac County is a county and census division of the Canadian province of Ontario. It is located in the eastern portion of Southern Ontario. The city of Kingston is included in the census division, but is administratively separated from the County of Frontenac.
Politically, the County of Frontenac is an upper tier municipality in the Canadian province of Ontario. While a traditional Ontario county prior to 1998, it was abolished as part of municipal restructuring and amalgamations, and replaced by a management unit with limited powers, known as the Frontenac Management Board. The management unit became a county again in 2003. The county offers a range of services including the Frontenac Paramedic Service, Fairmount Home, Howe Island Ferry, and other government services such as economic development, planning, administration and finance.
County Council includes two representatives from each township. The mayor of South Frontenac receives an additional vote, making it an eight member, nine vote council.
The county is the upper-tier level of government for the following municipalities:
- Township of North Frontenac
- Township of Central Frontenac
- Township of South Frontenac
- Township of Frontenac Islands
The City of Kingston is geographically within and part of the county's census division, but is separated from county administration.
- Population in 2001: 138,606
- Population in 1996: 136,365
The city of Kingston makes up the vast majority of the census division's population, skewing the census data. Statistics for the County of Frontenac excluding Kingston are as follows:
- Land area: 3,336.62 square kilometres (1,288.28 sq mi)
- Population (2011): 26,375
- Density: 7.9 per square kilometre (20 /sq mi)
- List of municipalities in Ontario
- List of Ontario Census Divisions
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library
- List of townships in Ontario
- "Frontenac County census profile". 2011 Census of Population. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- Feature Article - March 27, 2008. Frontenacnews.ca (2008-03-27). Retrieved on 2013-07-12.
- Dec 17/09 - SF Council. Frontenacnews.ca (2009-12-17). Retrieved on 2013-07-12.
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-21.
- Rollaston, Brian, ed. County of a Thousand Lakes: The History of the County of Frontenac. Kingston: County of Frontenac, 1982.
- Ross, Alec & John De Visser. Kingston and Frontenac County. Erin ON: Boston Mills Press, 2009.
- Meacham, J.H. Illustrated Historical Atlas of Frontenac, Lennox, and Addington Counties. Toronto, 1878; reprint ed., Belleville: Mika, 1971.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Frontenac County, Ontario.|
|Lennox and Addington Cty.||Lanark County
Leeds and Grenville United Counties
|Lake Ontario||Jefferson County, New York|