Frontier Natural Products Co-op
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (August 2013)|
|Headquarters||Norway, Iowa, United States|
|Area served||United States, Canada|
|Key people||Tony Bedard, CEO
Clint Landis, CMO
Bill Kooistra, CFO
|Products||Herbs, spices, foods, teas, personal care|
Frontier Natural Products Co-op is a wholesaler of natural and organic products, founded in 1976 and based in Norway, Iowa. It sells products under the Frontier, Simply Organic and Aura Cacia brands. Products include culinary herbs, spices and baking flavors; bulk herbs and spices; and natural and organic aromatherapy products. Frontier manufactures and distributes products throughout the United States and Canada.
In April 2007 Frontier introduced the Well Earth program to develop ethical sources for its products. The program screens potential suppliers with an extensive questionnaire and on-site visits to evaluate product quality, operational sustainability, environmental practices and social responsibility. Suppliers accepted into the program work with Frontier to maximize agricultural, environmental and social initiatives, with ongoing financial incentives for improved performance in those areas. The Well Earth program also provides direct financial contributions as well as assistance with grants and other outside funding for social and environmental programs in grower communities.
In July 2004 Frontier announced the addition of five USDA Certified Organic bulk teas that are also Fair Trade Certified through TransFair USA. Frontier will absorb the additional costs of the Fair Trade certification by offering the five teas – Jasmine, Ceylon Orange Pekoe, Darjeeling, Gunpowder and Black Chai – without a price increase. Frontier currently offers over 30 Fair Trade certified products including herbs, teas, cocoa, sugar and vanilla.  TransFair USA's audit system, which tracks products from farm to finished product, verifies industry compliance with Fair Trade criteria. TransFair USA licenses companies to display the Fair Trade Certified label on products that meet strict international Fair Trade standards.
In October 2001, Frontier introduced Simply Organic, a line of 100% certified organic foods. 1% of all Simply Organic sales go to organic agricultural causes and education. Frontier offers certified organic spices and seasoning blends under the Frontier brand and certified organic essential oils and personal care products under the Aura Cacia Organics brand.
Frontier has made a number of efforts to reduce energy consumption and waste reduction including biodegradable packaging and reduced-materials packaging.
- In 2007 Frontier Natural Products published its first sustainability report. Frontier stated in a recent media article that a published report helps their member-owners assess their commitment to sustainable business practices and helps the company identify wasted resources.
- In February 2007 the company announced it had purchased renewable energy credits to cover 100% of the electrical energy used at its Iowa and Colorado facilities. 
- In September 2007 Frontier became one of the first distribution centers to provide 100% carbon neutral shipping by implementing a program to calculate the emissions of its order shipping by purchasing renewable energy credits through Bonneville Environmental Foundation (BEF).
Frontier has been involved in preserving wild herbs and native plant species by either physically rescuing plants in volunteer groups, financially supporting native plant rescues, re-establishing local tall-grass prairie and protecting plants from the practice of “wild-crafting” through sustainable cultivation methods.
- http://www.frontiercoop.com/company/mgmt.html Retrieved on 11/24/08
- Cooperative Grocer Magazine, September 2007, "Network News Finding: Common Co-op Messages". Kelly Smith p.8
- Restaurant News of the Rockies, January 2008, volume 23, number 1
- Massage Magazine, October 2007, p.111
- Organic Products Retailer, July/August 2007, p.18
- http://www.frontiercoop.com/mediaroom/pressreleasearchive.html Retrieved on 11/26/08, 7/27/04 – "Organic Fair Trade Teas Added to Frontier Bulk"
- http://www.frontiercoop.com/products/fairtrade.php Retrieved on 11/24/08
- http://www.transfairusa.org/content/about/index.php Retrieved on 11/24/08
- http://www.simplyorganicfoods.com/simplyorganic/aboutso.html Retrieved on 11/24/08
- http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.html Retrieved on 12/01/08
- http://www.frontiercoop.com/mediaroom/pressreleasearchive.html 10/16/08 – Frontier Debuts Biodegradable Packing Material 09/09/08 – New Consumer-friendly Packaging for Bottled Spices from Frontier Natural Products Co-op Retrieved on 12/01/2008
- Edge Business, May 2008, p.10 http://www.frontiercoop.com/sustainabilityreport/index.html Retrieved on 12/01/2008
- http://www.frontiercoop.com/mediaroom/pressreleasearchive.html 02/02/07 – Frontier Natural Products Co-op Gets Green with Energy Retrieved on 12/01/2008
- http://www.frontiercoop.com/mediaroom/pressreleasearchive.html 09/27/07 – Order Shipping Goes Green at Frontier Natural Products Co-op Retrieved on 12/01/08
- http://www.frontiercoop.com/mediaroom/pressreleasearchive.html 10/30/06 – Frontier Natural Products Co-op Works to Rescue Native Plants Retrieved on 12/01/2008
- Organic Products Retailer, July/August 2008, p.18