|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011)|
Fruit Gushers (occasionally just called Gushers) are hexagon-shaped fruit snacks made primarily from sugar and fruit juice, with small amounts of other ingredients. Introduced in 1991, they are produced by General Mills under the Betty Crocker brand name, and may be found in generic forms as well. The center of each gusher is a thick sweet liquid, and is surrounded by a chewy gelatinous sugar covering. When one bites into the snack, the liquid inside "gushes" out, hence the name of the snack. Fruit Gushers was the major sponsor for the YTV game show Uh Oh! from 2001 until the series ended in 2003.
Ingredients for the Strawberry Splash flavor are: Pears from concentrate, sugar, dried corn syrup, corn syrup, modified corn starch, fructose, grape juice from concentrate. Ingredients making up less than 2% of the product: Partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, maltodextrin, cottonseed oil, carrageenan, citric acid, glycerin, monoglycerides, sodium citrate, malic acid, ascorbic acid, natural flavor, potassium citrate, agar-agar, Red 40, xanthan gum.
Gushers originally came in two flavors: Gushin' Grape and Strawberry Splash. Grape was discontinued.
- Tropical Flavors
- Watermelon Blast (discontinued)
- Strawberry Splash
- Screamin' Green Apple (discontinued)
- Burstin' Berry Lemonade (discontinued)
- Gushin' Grape (discontinued)
- Triple Berry Shock
- Rockin' Blue Raspberry (discontinued)
- Fruitomic Punch (discontinued)
- Xtreme Kiwi Xplosion (discontinued)
- Passion Berry Punch (discontinued)
- Double Dare Berry (discontinued)
- Roboberry Ultra Blast (discontinued)
A new variety of the snack is Gushers Mood Morphers which come in a fruit punch flavor with different colored fruit-flavored fillings.
- "Fruit Gushers - The 25 Greatest Fruit Snacks of All Time - Complex". Complex. 25 July 2013.
- "Kids` Snack Gushes With Fruit Flavor". Sun Sentinel.
- "Fruit Snacks Product List". Generalmills.com. Retrieved 2012-06-28.