VTA light rail station
Fruitdale Station, 2006
|Address||1490 Fruitdale Street
San Jose, California
|Connections||Bus Route 25, 103|
Fruitdale is a light rail station operated by Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA). The station has a center platform situated between two trackways. Fruitdale is served by the Mountain View–Winchester light rail line.
Address: 1490 Fruitdale Avenue, San Jose, CA 95128
Nearest cross-streets: Southwest Expressway & Fruitdale Avenue
Geographic coordinates: 37° 18' 37.1" North, 121° 55' 5.7" West
Platforms and tracks
|Union Pacific||■Freight branch line||No passenger service|
|VTA Northbound||■Mountain View–Winchester||toward Mountain View (Race)|
|VTA Southbound||■Mountain View–Winchester||toward Winchester (Bascom)|
"San Jose artist Diana Pumpelly Bates has created metal screens for the shelters that provide visual interest for passengers at the stations as well as for motorists and pedestrians passing by the stations. The designs reflect the rising and setting sun."
Fruitdale station was built as part of the Vasona Light Rail extension project. This project extended VTA light rail service from the intersection of Woz Way and West San Carlos St in San Jose in a southwesterly direction to the Winchester station in western Campbell.
The official opening date for this station was October 1, 2005.
The construction of this station and the rest of the Vasona Light Rail extension was part of the 1996 Measure B Transportation Improvement Program. Santa Clara County voters approved the Measure B project in 1996 along with a one half percent sales tax increase. The Vasona Light Rail extension was funded mostly by the resulting sales tax revenues with additional money coming from federal and state funding, grants, VTA bond revenues, and municipal contributions.
Nearby points of interest
- Sherman Oaks Community Center - 4 blocks away - 1800A Fruitdale Avenue
- San José City College
- Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
- VTA Bus Route 25 - Alum Rock Transit Center to De Anza College
- VTA Express Bus Route 103 - Eastridge Transit Center to Palo Alto
- "Fruitdale Station". Vasona Light Rail Extension. Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. 2008-05-12. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Vasona Project Description". Completed projects. Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Making the Light Rail Connection: Expanded Service Adds 5.3 miles to System". Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. 2005-10-01. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fruitdale (VTA).|