November 14, 1982 |
Pingtung County, Taiwan
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|June 29, 2009 for the Detroit Tigers|
(through 2010 season)
|Earned run average||4.33|
Fu-Te Ni (Chinese: 倪福德; pinyin: Ní Fúdé; Wade–Giles: Ni Fu-te; born November 14, 1982) is a Taiwanese professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. Before joining the Detroit Tigers, Ni was a professional baseball player from Taiwan's Chinese Professional Baseball League (CPBL). After his franchise, the Chinatrust Whales, disbanded on November 11, 2008, Ni signed a minor league contract with the Toledo Mud Hens, the Triple-A affiliate of the Tigers, in 2009.
Ni was called up in June 2009, becoming the sixth Taiwanese player to enter Major League Baseball. He is also the first player to transition from the CPBL to MLB. Ni made his major league debut on June 29, 2009 in relief of Rick Porcello against the Oakland Athletics. The first major league batter he faced was slugger Jason Giambi, and Ni struck him out.
Ni was drafted by the CPBL team Chinatrust Whales in 2005. He signed with the team in early 2007 and played for the entire CPBL 2007 and 2008 seasons. In the two years Ni had a 12–24 record with seven holds, four saves and a 3.43 ERA in 267⅔ inning pitched. Ni won the CPBL strikeout Champion Award in 2008 season with 132 strikeouts. Ni also participated in the 2008 Olympics and the 2009 World Baseball Classic.
North American career
Fu-Te Ni, 2009
|Hanyu Pinyin||Ní Fúdé|
Ni began his career in professional baseball in the United States in 2009. He was assigned to the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens of the International League. In 24 games with the Mud Hens, Ni went 3–0 with a 2.60 ERA, and 32 strikeouts. Ni was called up on June 28, 2009 to replace the injured Nate Robertson. After Chin-Feng Chen, Chin-hui Tsao, Chien-Ming Wang, Hong-Chih Kuo and Chin-lung Hu, Ni is the sixth Taiwanese player to enter Major League Baseball, and the fourth pitcher. Ni pitched 36 games with the Tigers in 2009 and compiled no wins or losses with a 2.61 ERA and 21 strikeouts.
Ni was released by the Tigers on August 7.
- "Olympics". sports-reference. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Tigers place Robertson on 15-day DL". MLB.com. June 28, 2009. Retrieved June 28, 2009.
- "Tigers put LHP Nate Robertson on disabled list". USA Today. June 28, 2009. Retrieved June 28, 2009.
- "Local pitcher closes on major-league debut". Government Information Office, Republic of China (Taiwan). June 29, 2009. Retrieved July 5, 2009.[dead link]
- Tigers option reliever Ni to Triple-A MLB.com June 30, 2010
-  2011 Tigers spring training roster
- "Tigers add six to roster, outright Ni to Triple-A". Tigers add six to roster, outright Ni to Triple-A. MLB.com. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Fu-Te Ni's online Album.
|CPBL Strikeout Champion Award