Fuad II of Egypt
|King of Egypt and the Sudan|
|Reign||26 July 1952 – 18 June 1953|
(m. 1976; div. 1996)
|Issue||Prince Muhammad Ali
16 January 1952 |
Abdeen Palace, Cairo, Egypt
Ahmed Fuad Farouk
|Reference style||His Majesty|
|Spoken style||Your Majesty|
He ascended the throne on 26 July 1952 upon the abdication of his father King Farouk I following the Egyptian Revolution of 1952. Farouk had hoped that his abdication would appease the revolutionaries and other anti-royalist forces, and that his son could serve as a unifying force for the country. However, the infant king reigned for less than a year until 18 June 1953, when Egypt was declared a republic. Fuad II was the 11th and last monarch of the Muhammad Ali Dynasty, which had ruled Egypt (and later Sudan) since 1805. His name is sometimes spelled Fouad.
Fuad was less than a year old at the time of his accession to the throne, thus he was never formally crowned. Upon Farouk's abdication, the now former king was exiled, and the new King Fuad left Egypt with him and his family. The Council of Regency headed by Prince Muhammad Abdel Moneim formally represented Fuad in Egypt during his absence.
Marriage and children
In 1976, the former king married Dominique-France Picard (née Loeb, born 1948), the daughter of Robert Loeb and his wife, Paule Picard. She converted from Judaism to Islam and assumed the title Queen Fadila of Egypt. The couple had three children before they divorced in 1996.
Their children are:
- HRH Muhammad Ali, Prince of the Sa'id (born 5 February 1979). Married Princess Noal Zaher, daughter of Prince Muhammed Daoud Pashtunyar Khan on 30 August 2013.
- HRH Princess Fawzia-Latifa (born 12 February 1982).
- HRH Prince Fakhr Eddin (born 25 August 1987).
In May 2010, he recorded a television interview with "ON TV" talking about his visit to Egypt, and how he felt about the Egyptian people, and their view of his late father.
Titles and styles
- 1 January 1952 – 26 July 1952: His Royal Highness The Prince of the Sa'id
- 26 July 1952 – 18 June 1953: His Majesty The King
- 18 June 1953 – present: His Majesty King Fuad of Egypt and the Sudan
|Ancestors of Fuad II of Egypt|
- Egyptian Revolution of 1952
- List of monarchs of the Muhammad Ali Dynasty
- List of monarchs who lost their thrones in the 20th and 21st centuries
- List of shortest-reigning monarchs
- Elbendary, Amina (7–13 February 2002). "Happy birthday, Your Majesty". Al-Ahram Weekly (572). Retrieved 10 October 2010.
Prince of the Sa'id (Upper Egypt) — Ahmed Fouad's title, the same his father held before assuming the throne...
- Hofstadter, Dan (1973). Egypt & Nasser. Volume 1. New York: Facts on File. p. 47. ISBN 978-0-87196-203-4.
After Farouk's abdication, the cabinet of Aly Maher said in a proclamation: "The Council of Ministers proclaims his majesty Ahmed Fuad II as king of Egypt and the Sudan...
- Lagnado, Lucette (18 September 2010). "The Lonely King Without a Throne". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
He has a passport from Monaco that identifies him as His Royal Highness Prince Ahmed Fouad Farouk.
- Montgomery-Massingberd, Hugh, ed. (1980). "The French Ancestry of King Farouk of Egypt". Burke's Royal Families of the World. Volume II: Africa & the Middle East. London: Burke's Peerage. p. 287. ISBN 978-0-85011-029-6. OCLC 18496936.
- الملك أحمد فؤاد الثاني [King Ahmad Fuad II] (in Arabic). Bibliotheca Alexandrina: Memory of Modern Egypt Digital Archive. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- "King Ahmad Fouad II". Official Website of the Egyptian Presidency. Archived from the original on 2007-06-30. Retrieved 2008-07-27.
- Hammudah, Adil (1991). Al-Malik Ahmad Fu'ad al-Thani, al-malik al-akhir wa-'arsh Misr [King Ahmad Fuad II, the Last King and the Throne of Egypt] (in Arabic). Cairo: Sifinks. ISBN 978-977-5185-06-8. OCLC 29394467. Retrieved 2008-12-05.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fuad II of Egypt.|
- Egyptian Royalty by Ahmed S. Kamel, Hassan Kamel Kelisli-Morali, Georges Soliman and Magda Malek.
- L'Egypte D'Antan... Egypt in Bygone Days by Max Karkegi.
- Facebook's Fuad II of Egypt "unofficial"
- Egyptian Royalty Genealogy - by Christopher Buyers
Fuad II of EgyptBorn: 16 January 1952
|King of Egypt and the Sudan
26 July 1952 – 18 June 1953
as President of Egypt
|Prince of the Sa'id
16 January 1952 – 26 July 1952
Title next held byMuhammad Ali
|Titles in pretence|
|Loss of title
|— TITULAR —
King of Egypt and the Sudan
18 June 1953 – present