|Labels||Several labels in past, including Matador Records. Jagjaguwar|
Fuck is an American indie rock band, formed in Oakland, California in 1993. The band consists of Timothy Prudhomme, Geoff Soule, Kyle Statham, and Theodore Ellison. They have recorded for a number of labels including Matador Records and Homesleep Records of Italy.
Fuck was formed in Oakland, California in 1993. The members met while stuck in a police holding cell over the weekend, and wrote a few songs while in jail. They released a self-titled cassette called Fuck, and a single, MonkeyBeautyShotgun on their own imprint, Rhesus Records, in 1994. (The songs from the cassette would eventually find their way onto later releases.) They released their second full-length album Pretty...Slow in 1996. The album was ultimately released on three different labels. Their third album, Baby Loves a Funny Bunny, was also released in 1996.
The band then signed to Matador Records, who released the albums Pardon My French in 1997 and Conduct in 1998. According to Timothy Prudhomme, the band were told by a Matador marketing director that they needed to change the name of the band. They refused to give in.
After Conduct, the band left Matador and drifted between labels. In 2001, they released two albums on two different labels: Cupid's Cactus was released on Steve Shelley's independent label, Smells Like Records, and Gold Bricks was released on Homesleep Records in 2001. Those Are Not My Bongos was released in 2003 on both Homesleep and Future Farmer Records; the latter rereleased Gold Bricks in the U.S. in 2004.
To date, Fuck has performed over 400 live shows and recorded on nine different labels. Prudhomme currently lives in Memphis and the rest of the band lives in the San Francisco Bay Area. The band website reports that new material was recorded in January 2007 but it remains unreleased.
In November 2008, the band participated with other similarly named bands, including Holy Fuck, Fucked Up and Fuck Buttons in the Festival of the Fuck Bands music festival in the village of Fucking, Austria.
- Fuck (cassette) - Rhesus - 1994
- Pretty...Slow (CD) - Rhesus - 1996
- Baby Loves a Funny Bunny (CD) - Rhesus - 1996
- Pardon My French (CD) - Matador - 1997
- Conduct (CD) - Matador - 1998
- Cupid's Cactus (CD) - Smells Like Records - 2001
- Gold Bricks (CD) - Homesleep Records - 2001
- Those Are Not My Bongos (CD) - Homesleep Records - 2003
Singles and EPs
- "MonkeyBeautyShotgun" (7") - Rhesus - 1994
- "LikeyouButterflySomewheres" (7") - Rhesus - 1995
- "Fish or Fry" (7") - Academy of Chess and Checkers - 1996
- "TetherFuckmotel" (7") - Jagjaguwar - 1997
- "Tocotronic" (7") - Rhesus - 1998
- "Moxie" (7") - Rhesus - 1998
- "Yuppie Flu" (7") - Rhesus - 1999
- "BlindbeautyMadeup" (7") - Speakerphone Recordings - 1999
- "Mumble and Peg" (7") - Vaccination Records - 1999
- "Pee" (7") - Cool Beans Records - 2000
- "Homesleep Singles Club No. 4" (CD) - Homesleep Records - 2003
- Fuck interview from Cool Beans, issue 6
- Fuck discography from their official website
- Sutherland, Sam (2007). "What the Fuck? Curse Word Band Names Challenge the Music Industry". Exclaim! Magazine. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- Pitchfork review of Those Are Not My Bongos
- Lopez, Michael (27 January 2009). "Fucked Up and other F-Word Bands Congregate at the Festival of the Fuck Bands". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved 2009-10-25.