Fulvio Fantoni (born November 9, 1963 in Grosseto) is an Italian international bridge player. He is a six-time world champion, a World Grand Master of the World Bridge Federation (WBF), and the WBF first-ranked player as of December 2011. He is one of 10 players who have won the Triple Crown of Bridge.
Fantoni's regular partner is Claudio Nunes, the second-ranked World Grand Master (April 2011). They play "Fantunes", for their surnames, an innovative bidding system characterised by natural but forcing one-level opening bids in all four suits.
Emigration to Monaco
From 2011 Fantoni and Nunes are full-time members of a team led and paid by the Swiss real estate tycoon Pierre Zimmermann, under contract expiring 2016. The team finished third in the 2010 world championship, not yet full-time, and it will compete in the European open championship this spring. From 2012 all six members are citizens of Monaco and the team represent Monaco internationally.
Major tournament wins
- Bermuda Bowl: 2005
- World Team Olympiad: 2004
- World Mind Sports Games: Open Teams 2008 — successor to the quadrennial Olympiad
- World Transnational Open Teams Championship: 2007
- World Open Pairs: 2002
- World Mixed Pairs: 2010
- Spingold: 2011, 2012
- European Teams Championships: 2004, 2006
- European Champions' Cup for Open Teams: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Open Classification, World Bridge Federation. Confirmed 2010-11-07.
- Fulvio Fantoni: Claudio Nunes is much stronger than I am!, Interview by Laura Camponeschi, neapolitan club online bridge magazine, 8 Nov 2010. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- "Helgeness and Fantunes Immigrate to Monaco", BridgeTopics.com 2010-12-14. Originally published in Norwegian: Alf Helge Jensen, "Helgeness skal spille for Monaco", Bridge i Norge (ed. Boye Brogeland), 2010-12-13. Confirmed 2011-08-23.
- Bridge Winners profile (maintained by Fantoni)
- Fulvio Fantoni international record at the World Bridge Federation.
- Biography at Infobridge.it (Italian with crude English-language version)