|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (October 2013)|
Fundación Avina is a Latin American foundation working towards the sustainable development of Latin America, encouraging alliances between social and business leaders.
Avina was founded in 1994 by Stephan Schmidheiny. Its Chairman is Sean McKaughan and its CEO is Gabriel Baracatt, both since January 2013. It is based in Panama, and has offices in Buenos Aires in Argentina, Santa Cruz de la Sierra in Bolivia, Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, Santiago in Chile, Bogota in Colombia, Cuenca in Ecuador, Asuncion in Paraguay, and Lima in Peru. Fundación Avina works in Latin America as a broker, co-investor and facilitator, leveraging its resources, local presence and relationships with thousands of allies to incubate and scale up shared strategies for change. They have worked with the Jesuits on a joint "Centro Magis" programme of education. Its primary contribution to its allies is the promotion of collaborative action through services and financial support.
Recent Avina activities include a series of projects with Xylem in Brazil's Semiarid, the country's northeast region, which is particularly vulnerable to water scarcity. Avina also shows important achievements in impact businesses, which means make money while generating social and environmental benefits. With CAF -Development Bank of Latin America- Avina has subscribed an Agreement of Understanding, through which they propose the establishment of alliances to foster development in Latin America.
In Chile, a joint venture between Florida-based Advanced Magnet Lab, the Advanced Innovation Center of Chile, and Fundación Avina. This joint venture will utilize the country as a platform for the demonstration of innovative applications in energy efficiency and production.
The Busniness Inquire Magazine, in an article called New business model to create bigger market?, defined Avina as " one of the leading promoters of Inclusive Markets". Avina also appears in a Forbes Magazine article about F irst Impact Investing Venture Capital Firm in Brazil.
Amazon Biome: Civil society organizations and research institutions that form part of the Amazonian Network of Georeferenced Socio-Environmental Information (RAISG) on December, 2012, a 68-page book of maps and data called Amazonia Under Pressur e. The work behind the publication includes institutions such as the Norwegian Rainforest Foundation, the Ford Foundation, the Fundación Avina and the Skoll Foundation.
Social Progress Index
The Social Progress Index, which ranked 50 countries by their social and environmental performance, was designed by Professor Michael E.Porter and The Social Progress Imperative working in collaboration with economists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and leading international organisations in social entrepreneurship, business, philanthropy, and academia including Cisco, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (DTTL), Skoll Foundation, Fundación Avina, and Compartamos Banco.
Latin America Donor Index
The Latin America Donor Index is the result of a collaboration between Fundación Avina and the Office of Outreach and Partnerships of the Inter-American Development Bank, so non-profits and donors alike can identify potential allies.
Available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese, the Latin America Donor Index features an alphabetical index of donor organizations; a resource library, including the latest trends in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Marshall, Katherine; Marsh, Richard (2003). Millennium Challenges for Development and Faith Institutions. World Bank Publications. pp. 75–6. ISBN 0821355902.
- Message from the CEO
- Banchoff, Thomas (2008). Religious Pluralism, Globalization, and World Politics. Oxford University Press USA. pp. 212–3. ISBN 0195323408.
- Official website in English
- Acces to Water actions - Article published by Market Watch
- Forbes Article about Inclusive Market Actions
- Americas Quaterly article about Energy Actions
- Another article about Energy Actions
- CAF, Avina to Create Alliances for Sustainable Development, by International Institute of Sustainable Development
- Business Inquirer's article, about Fundación Avina as "one of the leading promoters of Inclusive Business
- Another Forbes article, about Inclusive Business
- Business News Article, about Recycling
- Article about Social Progress Index
- Article about Social Progress Index