Futuremark is a Finnish software development company that produces computer benchmark applications for home users and businesses. Its headquarters and R&D department are located in Espoo, Finland trading as Futuremark Oy. The company has a sales office in Campbell, California operating as Futuremark Corporation. In October, 2014, Futuremark was acquired by UL.
Founded in 1997 as "Futuremark" by members of the former demoscene group Future Crew, the company is the leading producer of computer benchmark applications in the world. Its software is used by over 250 computer magazines and has been equally successful within the gaming community; high scores in its 3DMark benchmarks are considered as bragging rights among computer gamers who use it as a way to gauge their computer's performance relative to that of others'.
The 3DMark series has been the most popular and successful to date.
Futuremark's applications are distributed via the Internet as well as offline media; in addition to the above benchmarks, the company also provides services such as IHV/ISV customised benchmarks, 3D demos as well as online and data services.
During March 2007, Futuremark launched a website specialising in PC games, called YouGamers. Aside from features typical of gaming review websites, YouGamers also provides an assessment service called the Game-o-Meter; this online-only tool estimates a PC's performance relative to the type of PC suggested by a game's publisher. This allows the end user to judge whether their PC will be able to play the tested game or not.
In January 2008, Futuremark announced the formation of the Futuremark Games Studio. In August 2008, at the Leipzig Games Convention, Futuremark Games Studio announced details of its first game, Shattered Horizon.
In December 2009, Futuremark's mobile and embedded business unit was spun off and renamed Rightware.
In March 2012, Futuremark sold its game development division to Rovio Entertainment (developer of the Angry Birds franchise) for an undisclosed sum. The sale was intended to allow the company to focus on its benchmarking software.
Smartphone and tablet benchmarks
- PCMark for Android
- Peacekeeper, web browser benchmark
- XL-R8R, based on 3DMark2000
- Video2000, video performance benchmark
- Futuremark press release Nov 9th 1999
- MadOnion press release Dec 11th 2002
- Futuremark press release Mar 7th 2007
- Game-o-Meter FAQ
- Futuremark press release Jan 29th 2008
- Futuremark press release Aug 19th 2008
- Angry Birds creator acquires games developer, visited 3 April 2012
- Ratcliffe, Chris (27 March 2012). ""Angry Birds" creator adds Futuremark Game Studio’s team to fleet of talent". Bloomberg. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "UL Signals Strategic Expansion into Performance Benchmarking Services with Futuremark Acquisition". November 3, 2014.
- Hartley, Darleen (November 3, 2014). "Futuremark Acquired by Underwriters Laboratories". Bright Side of News.