Futures of American Studies
The Futures of American Studies is a weeklong academic summer institute on the field of American Studies held at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. The institute was started in 1995. Donald E. Pease, Professor of English at Dartmouth College, organizes and directs the Institute.
Founding of the institute
After the School Criticism and Theory left Dartmouth for Cornell University in 1995, Donald E. Pease started the Futures Institute as an alternative summer program for faculty and graduate students.
The institute is divided into plenary sessions that feature current work from institute faculty and research seminars in which all participants present and discuss their own work-in-progress. Speakers in the plenary sessions will examine the relation between emergent and residual practices in the field of American Studies from a variety of interdisciplinary perspectives. The institute welcomes participants who are involved in a range of disciplinary and interdisciplinary fields and who are interested in current critical debates in American Studies.
Along with Institute Director Donald E. Pease, the institute co-directors for 2012 are:
- Elizabeth Maddock Dillon, Northeastern University
- Eric Lott, University of Virginia
- Winfried Fluck, Freie Universitaet, Berlin
- J. Martin Favor, Dartmouth College
- Colleen Boggs, Dartmouth College
Recent books written by institute faculty or students
- Hamilton Carroll, Affirmative Reaction: New Formations of White Masculinity, New Americanist Series, Duke University Press, 2011
- Johannes Voelz, Transcendental Resistance: The New Americanists and Emerson's Challenge, Re-Mapping the Transnational: A Dartmouth Series in American Studies, Dartmouth College Press, 2010, ISBN 978-1-58465-937-2
- Donald E. Pease, The New American Exceptionalism, University of Minnesota Press, 2009, ISBN 978-0-8166-2783-7
- Jonathan Beecher Field, Errands into the Metropolis: New England Dissidents in Revolutionary London, Dartmouth College Press, 2009, ISBN 978-1-58465-821-4
- Jonathan Elmer, On Lingering and Being Last: Fictions of Race and Sovereignty in the New World, Fordham University Press, 2008, ISBN 978-0-8232-2941-3
- Christopher Castiglia, Interior States: Institutional Consciousness and the Inner Life of Democracy in the Antebellum U.S. New Americanist Series, Duke University Press, 2008, ISBN 978-0-8223-4267-0
- Hester Blum, The View from the Mast-Head: Maritime Imagination and Antebellum American Sea Narratives, University of North Carolina Press, 2008, ISBN 978-0-8078-3169-4
- Colleen Glenney Boggs, Transnationalism and American Literature: Literary Translation 1773-1892, CRC Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0-415-77068-2
- Randall Fuller, Emerson's Ghosts: Literature, Politics, and the Making of Americanists, Oxford University Press US, 2007, ISBN 978-0-19-531392-5