|Born||Gérard C. Louis-Dreyfus
June 21, 1932 
|Other names||William Louis-Dreyfus|
Duke Law School
|Title||Ex Chairman of Louis Dreyfus Energy Services|
|Spouse(s)||Judith Bowles (1959-1962)
Phyllis B. Louis-Dreyfus
|Children||Julia Louis-Dreyfus (with Bowles)
William Louis-Dreyfus (born Gérard C. Louis-Dreyfus; June 21, 1932) is a French-born American businessman. His net worth was estimated at $3.4 billion by Forbes in 2006. He is the chairman of Louis Dreyfus Energy Services and the great grandson of Léopold Louis-Dreyfus, founder of Louis Dreyfus Group. He is the father of Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
Life and career
Louis-Dreyfus was born in Paris. His great-grandfather Léopold Louis-Dreyfus founded the Louis Dreyfus Group in 1851. His mother, Dolores Porges (née Neubauer), was American-born, the daughter of a Brazilian father and a Mexican mother. His father, Pierre Louis-Dreyfus, (1908-2011), was a French Jew who headed the Louis Dreyfus group and fought in the French Resistance during World War II. In 1940, Louis-Dreyfus moved to the United States with his mother after her divorce from Pierre. By 1945 he had adopted the name William as a symbol of his integration into American society.
In October 2012, Dreyfus published a full page ad in the New York Times named 'A Call To Arms To The Wealthy To Protect The Right To Vote' in a bid to encourage fellow voters to contribute to protect their voting rights. Dreyfus himself donated $1 million.
First Wife: Judith Bowles. Divorced, 1962.
Child With Judith Bowles:
- Emmy winning-actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus, born January 13, 1961, co-star, in the role of Elaine Benes, of the hit NBC television sitcom Seinfeld, star of the CBS sitcom The New Adventures of Old Christine, and star of HBO series Veep.
Second Wife: Phyllis B. Louis-Dreyfus.
Children With Phyllis Louis-Dreyfus:
- social worker Phoebe Émilie Dominique Louis-Dreyfus Eavis (born May 1968), she married financial journalist Peter Eavis in 1996.
- social worker Emma R. Louis-Dreyfus (born 1974).
- Legal Eagle: PORGES v. LOUIS-DREYFUS, 280 A.D. 277 (1952) Dolores N. Porges, Appellant-Respondent, v. Guy P. Louis-Dreyfus, Respondent-Appellant, Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, First Department. June 3, 1952
- Forbes.com "Gérard Louis-Dreyfus & family". Forbes.com. October 2006. Retrieved 2007-10-28.
- "Gerard Louis Dreyfus Executive Biography". Louis Dreyfus Group. Retrieved 2007-10-28.
- Rootsweb: "Dowling Family Genealogy" retrieved August 16, 2013
- "Louis Dreyfus Dead at 102". Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- By TVtropolis June 1, 2006 (2006-06-01). "Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Seinfeld". Canada.com. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
- "Billionaire William Louis-Dreyfus Calls On Fellow Rich To Battle Voter Suppression". Huffington Post. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "BA call to arms to the wealthy to protect the right to vote". Brennan Center For Justice. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- New York Times: Marriages: "Phoebe Louis-Dreyfus, Peter Eavis" October 20, 1996
- Talking Biz News: "Ex-WSJer Eavis to join NYT" by Chris Roush November 28, 2011