1 April 1949 |
|Alma mater||École Polytechnique, ÉNA|
|Occupation||CEO of GDF Suez|
After his graduation from ENA, he joined the Treasury. Between September 1982 and July 1984 he was the technical advisor in charge of industrial affairs under the Minister of Economics and Finance (during the time of Jacques Delors)
In 1984, he started working as a special advisor for Suez, known today just as Suez. He has been its Chairman and CEO since 2001.He was named Deputy Delegate General for Industrial Affairs in June 1986. In July 1987, he was General Director of the European Court of Human Rights, an affiliate of the Compagnie financière de Suez. In January 1991 he started as the Deputy Director General of the company, but a month later he became the Managing Director and Chairman of the Management Committee of the Société General de Belgique, to ensure its refocusing and development.
He was appointed as a member of the Hong Kong Chief Executive's Council of International Advisers in the years of 1998-2005. He is the President of Paris Europlace. He is also the President of the Fondation Agir Contre l'Exclusion (FACE).
In 1995 he took a position as the head of Suez and since then he has worked for Suez while focusing on three businesses: energy, water, and waste  He was also the instigator of the reconciliation between Suez and the Lyonnaise des Eaux. The Suez-Lyonnaise des Eaux was started in 1997, at which time Mestrallet became the chairman of its executive board while Jérôme Monod, chairman of Lyonnaise, became the Chairman of the Supervisory Board. However, the group soon went back to its original name, Suez and in 2003 its leaders made a proposition to shareholders to change the association of the company by becoming an LP with a board of directors and Gerard Mestrallet as the CEO.
In October 2014, his retirement cap of 21 million euros was a controversy in the media due to GDF-Suez’s record losses for 2013 and its effort to prepare a savings plan 
- Member of the Board and Advisory Council of the "Institut de l'entreprise".
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the "Institut Aspen" of France.
- Member of the Administrative Council of Saint-Gobain.
- Member of the Supervisory Council of AXA.
- President of the Mayor’s Council of Chongqing since September 24, 2006.
- Advisor to the Mayor of Shanghai, member of the “Council of International Advisors” to the Hong Kong government.
- President of the Policy Board of Paris Europlace (since 2003),member of the Council of the French Institute of Administrators.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Sciences Po Aix.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the École polytechnique.
- President of the Board of Directors of the Conservatoire national des arts et métiers.
- President of the "Fondation Agir contre l'exclusion".
- Vice President of Electrabel.
- Vice President of Aguas de Barcelona.
- Member of the Board of Directors of "Pargesa".
- Member of the Board of Directors of International Power.
He is Commander of the National Order of the Legion of Honour and is a Knight of the National Order of Merit.
Gérard Mestrallet is the son of Georges Mestrallet and Paule Mestrallet-Besnard. He has two brothers, Michael and Patrick Mestrallet. He married Joëlle Emillienne Renée Arcens in 1974 and they currently have three children 
- "GDF board biography". Gdfsuez.com. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Gérard Mestrallet - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, GDF SUEZ S.A., Businessweek
- "Gerard Mestrallet". DIRIGEANTS ENTREPRISE. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "Hong Kong". Info.gov.hk. 2003-11-06. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "FACE leadership". Fondationface.org. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Gerard Mestrallet". Fondationface.org. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "Polémique autour de la retraite-chapeau du PDG de GDF Suez". Le Figaro. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- Institut de l'entreprise: Organisation
- Conseil de surveillance de l'Aspen Institute France, site de l'Aspen Institute France, consulté le 21 septembre 2012
- Les salaires des patrons du SBF 120, Le journal du net, 25 juin 2013
- Classement : les salaires des patrons du CAC 40, Challenges, 3 mai 2013
- Décret du 2 mai 2012 portant promotion et nomination - NOR: PREX1221663D
|CEO of GDF Suez
|This French business–related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|