Zan in 2013
|Full name||Gökhan Zan|
|Date of birth||7 September 1981|
|Place of birth||Hatay, Turkey|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2004–2005||→ Gaziantepspor (loan)||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22 December 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Zan started his career with Hatayspor and then moved on to Çanakkale Dardanelspor before joining Beşiktaş in 2003. He needed time to make his mark with the Turkish giants, and spent a spell on loan with Gaziantepspor before returning to the İnönü Stadium.
Following 2008–09 season-end, Zan could not negotiate a deal with Beşiktaş. On 22 June 2009, it had been announced that Zan made a deal with Galatasaray for a period of 2 years starting from 2009–10 season. In further rumours, it has been written on papers that Zan had never been called by Beşiktaş in order to negotiate after his contract had been expired, which was dealt for two years within an optional second season. After 20 days with no proposal from the club, Zan have accepted Galatasaray's offer.
On 27 June 2011, Zan signed a new contract, with €700,000 per annum wage plus €20,000 per game. He scored his first goal for the club on the second half of the 2010–11 Süper Lig season which came in the first half as the game ended in a 1–1 draw against Kayserispor. Zan played 12 matches on the 2011–12 Süper Lig season and scored 2 goals, one against Eskişehirspor in 2–0 win and the other in a 4–0 win against Ankaragücü. He was part of Galatasaray's champion squad.
In early April 2013, his contract was extended for another two-years until 2015.
Zan emerged as a key man for Turkey in their Euro 2008 qualifying push, starring in seven games for Fatih Terim's side. At the tournament itself, Zan made three appearances after he was initially injured in the opening game against Portugal. He has appeared in two qualifying matches for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
A tall, commanding central defender who plays with great pride and muscle but lacks agility and football intelligence. Another fault-line is his fragile physical make-up (which earned him the nickname the Glassman), but he has still managed to enjoy a fine career for club and country despite his flaws.
- As of 22 December 2013
|Turkey national team|
- hurriyet.com.tr (13 July 2003). "Luca'nın Prensi" (in Turkish). Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- Gökhan Zan Galatasaray’da
- "Beşiktaş'tan 4 milyon Euro'luk unutkanlık". Hürriyet. 30 June 2009. Retrieved 30 June 2009.
- "Sözleşmenin Uzatılması Hakkında". Turkish Public Disclosure System (in Turkish). 27 June 2011. Retrieved 6 July 2011.
- "Gökhan Zan". National Football Teams. Retrieved 27 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gökhan Zan.|
- Profile at Galatasaray.org
- Statistics at TFF.org (Turkish)
- Gökhan Zan – UEFA competition record
- Gökhan Zan – FIFA competition record
- Gökhan Zan statistics and biography at FootballDatabase.com
- Gökhan Zan at National-Football-Teams.com
- Gökhan Zan career statistics at Soccerbase
- Gökhan Zan at the Internet Movie Database