Gölcük Barbaros Hayrettin Lisesi
|Gölcük Barbaros Hayrettin Lisesi|
|Motto||Sun After Storm
Post tempestas sol solis!
|Enrollment||541 Total Students|
|Information||+90 (262) 413 12 30|
Short form of the school name is GBHL. Formed in 1958 as "Gölcük Lisesi" (GL), the high school named as "Barbaros Hayrettin Lisesi" in 1970 when it moved to its own building from the provisional location.
The colors of the school are black (symbolizing the deadly ferry accident on 1 March 1958 in which hundreds of high school students died in Gulf of İzmit) and yellow (symbolizing the sun/GBHL rising after this disaster).
In the devastating earthquake epicentered in Gölcük on 17 August 1999, GBHL lost many of its students and faculty residing in Gölcük and surrounding towns.
The buildings of the high school has been damaged, however later been repaired by the efforts of its alumni association and some international relief organizations.
- Hikmet Karaman / Football manager
- Ayhan Bölükbaşı / Journalist
- Erdoğan Arıkan / TV presenter
- Şengül Balıksırtı / Journalist
- Demet Akalın / Pop singer
- Sefa Sirmen / Politician
- Haluk Kaplanoğlu / Warner Bross Turkey, CEO
- İlker Yasin* / TV presenter
- Ahmet Özhan* / Turkish court music singer
- Toygar Işıklı* / Composer