ITU-T Recommendation G.798 "Characteristics of optical transport network hierarchy equipment functional blocks" covers the functional requirements of Optical Transport Network functionality within equipment. Some examples of the functionality are:
- Optical Transmission Section Termination and line amplification functionality
- Optical Multiplex Section Termination functionality
- Optical Channel Termination functionality
- Optical Channel Cross-Connect functionality
This Recommendation uses the specification methodology defined in G.806 in general for transport network equipment and is based on the architecture of optical transport networks defined in G.872 and the interfaces for optical transport networks defined in G.709. The description is generic and no particular physical partitioning of functions is implied. The input/output information flows associated with the functional blocks serve for defining the functions of the blocks and are considered to be conceptual, not physical.
- Rec. ITU-T G.798 (12/2012) – Prepublished version