G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research
G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research is an award instituted in 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation in honour of the Indian philanthropist Ghanshyam Das Birla. The award is given to an outstanding scientific research, mostly during the past 5 years, undertaken by an Indian scientist, who is below the age of 50, living and working in India. It carries a cash prize of ₹1.5 lakhs (0.15 million). The award is given every year and is available for all branches of science including medical science, basic and applied.
|2013||Rajesh Gopakumar||Quantum field theory and string theory||Harish Chandra Research Institute|
|2012||Nibir Mandal||Structural geology||Jadavpur University|
|2011||Tapas Kumar Kundu||Biochemistry||Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research|
|2010||Subhasis Chaudhuri||Electrical engineering||Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai|
|2009||Manindra Agrawal||Computer science||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur|
|2008||Raghavan Varadrajan||Biophysics||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|2007||Santanu Bhattacharya||Chemistry||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|2006||Sriram Ramaswamy||Physics||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|2005||D.D. Sarma||Nanotechnology||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|2004||Arjun M. Jayannvar||Physics||Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar|
|2003||Thanu Padmanabhan||Astrophysics||Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune|
|2002||P.P. Majumdar||Human genetics||Indian Statistical Institute|
|2001||Seyed E. Hasnain||Medical genetics||University of Hyderabad|
|2000||A.K. Sood||Experimental physics||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|1999||Sankar K. Pal||Computer engineering||Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata|
|1997||Biman Bagchi||Structural chemistry||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|1996||Ashoke Sen||Theoretical physics||Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad|
|1995||Girish S. Agarwal||Quantum optics||Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad|
|1994||Padmanabhan Balaram||Biochemistry||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|1993||R.A. Mashelkar||Polymer science||Council of Scientific & Industrial Research|
|1992||Goverdhan Mehta||Organic chemistry||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|1991||Asis Datta||Molecular biology||National Centre for Plant Genome Research, JNU|
- "G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research". KK Birla Foundation. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "String-theorist wins G.D. Birla Award". The Hindu. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Physicist Rajesh Gopakumar to be honored with G D Birla award for scientific research for 2013". The Economic Times (Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd.). 21 March 2014. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Jadavpur University professor chosen for G D Birla award". Business Standard. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "GD Birla Award for Tapas Kundu". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "IIT M prof bags Birla award for scientific research". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "2 teachers receive G.D. Birla awards". Hindustan Times. 24 November 2009. Retrieved 4 June 2013.