Gerald R. Hawting (born 1944) is a British Orientalist scholar of Islam. He is currently Emeritus Professor in the History of the Near and Middle East at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), where he completed his education under Bernard Lewis and John Wansbrough, receiving his PhD in 1978.
- The First Dynasty of Islam (1986), translated two volumes in the Tabari Translation Project (vols. 17, 20), edited together with Abdul Kader Shereef,
- Approaches to the Quran, ed. (1993)
- The Idea of Idolatry and the Rise of Islam: From Polemic to History., 1999 Cambridge University Press
- "John Wansbrough, Islam, and monotheism". in Quest for the Historical Muhammad edited by Ibn Warraq.
- The Development of Islamic Ritual, ed. (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006) (The Formation of the Classical Islamic World, 26).