G. Barry Anderson
G. Barry Anderson
Minnesota Supreme Court
|Appointed by||Tim Pawlenty|
|Preceded by||James H. Gilbert|
October 24, 1954 |
Grant Barry Anderson (born October 24, 1954) is an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court, sworn into office on October 13, 2004. He was a member of the Minnesota Court of Appeals from August 1998 until his appointment to the Supreme Court by Governor Tim Pawlenty.
Anderson was reelected to the Supreme Court in 2006 and 2012.
Early life and education
He was a general practice lawyer, first in Fairmont and then in Hutchinson, where he served as the city attorney for over a decade. He is certified as a civil trial specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association and was an experienced trial lawyer, representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of cases.
Anderson’s background includes service as chairman of the Board of Directors of Hutchinson Community Video Network, a local public access television effort, two terms as President of Hutchinson Rotary Club and a wide variety of other community activities. More recently, he has served as a member of the Minnesota Valley YMCA Community Board of Directors, as a youth athletics coach, and as a national judge of the “We the People” high school civics competition.
Anderson is a frequent contributor to continuing legal education efforts and has lectured on the use of expert witnesses and similar topics. He also serves on the Judicial Council, the statewide governing board for the Minnesota Judicial Branch.
Dean Barkley, who briefly served as U.S. Senator from Minnesota in 2002 after the death of Paul Wellstone, ran against Anderson for Supreme Court Justice in the 2012 election. Anderson won reelection for another six years with 58.9% of the vote.
- Judicial Biographies, Minnesota Court of Appeals, Minnesota State Law Library.
- Associate Justice G. Barry Anderson, Minnesota Judicial Branch
- Nov. 7, 2006, Statewide Results for All Judicial Races, Official Results, General Election, Minnesota Secretary of State
- Justice Barry Anderson
- Nov. 7, 2006, Official Results, Minnesota Secretary of State
- Stassen-Berger, Rachel E. (May 30, 2012). "Ex-Senator Barkley tries for state Supreme Court". Star Tribune: Hot Dish Politics. Minneapolis, MN. Retrieved 2012-11-03.
- Judge Profile: Associate Justice G. Barry Anderson, State of Minnesota Judicial Branch.
- Justice Barry Anderson, Campaign Website.