General Directorate for National Roads and Highways
General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways (Polish: Generalna Dyrekcja Dróg Krajowych i Autostrad) is the central authority of national administration set up to manage the national roads and implementation of the state budget in Poland. The GDDKiA was established on 1 April 2002 by the Polish Ministry of Transportation.
The directorate was formed by a consolidation of the General Directorate of Roads and the Public Agency for Construction and the Operations of Motorways.
The head of administration of the GDDKiA is the Director-General of National Roads and Motorways. The GDDKiA consists of 16 provincial branches and also the Regional Country Roads offices, which manage roads in their territories. In addition the Directorate-General of the History of Roads resides in Szczucin, and is responsible for preserving any road monuments.
The GDDKiA is the central government body responsible for national roads and also performs the duties of:
- Participation in the implementation of road transport policy
- Collection of data and information about the network of public roads.
- Supervising the preparation of road infrastructure for the defense of the nation.
- Issuing permits for a single journey, within a specified time and for a fixed route, of non-standard vehicles.
- Cooperating with other road administrations and international organizations
- Cooperation with local governments for the development and maintenance of road infrastructure.
- Management of traffic on the national roads.
- Protection of road monuments.
- Performing the tasks associated with preparing and coordinating the construction and operation of paid motorways.
- Managing payment for transit in accordance with the provisions of paid highways and the National Fund for traffic.
- Lech Witecki – General Director for National Roads and Motorways
- Magdalena Jaworska – Deputy General Director for National Roads and Motorways
- Tomasz Rudnicki – Deputy General Director for National Roads and Motorways
- Andrzej Maciejewski – Deputy General Director for National Roads and Motorways
- Joanna Nurkiewicz – General Office Director