GDF Suez Energy Resources NA
|Headquarters||Post Oak Central
Uptown Houston, Texas, USA
|Products||Electricity, Natural Gas, Retail Energy Sales & Services, Merchant Plant Operations, Wholesale Gas & Power, LNG Deliveries & Operations, Renewable Energy|
GDF Suez Energy Resources NA is the retail energy subsidiary of IPR-GDF SUEZ North America, Inc. ., and one of the largest non-residential retail energy suppliers in the United States.
GDF Suez Energy Resources currently supplies customers in 12 markets: Delaware, Texas, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Connecticut, Ohio, and Washington, D.C. The company serves more than 80,000 accounts for businesses whose peak demand ranges from 750 KW to more than 200 MW, with an estimated peak load totaling over 8,000 MW.
In 2009, the retail electric provider changed its name to GDF Suez Energy Resources NA to reflect the 2008 merger of its parent company, GDF Suez. International Power is listed on the London Stock Exchange with ticker symbol IPR. GDF SUEZ holds a 70 percent interest in International Power plc.
Rise to second-largest retail electricity provider in the United States
In the fall of 2009, GDF Suez Energy Resources NA was ranked as the second-largest commercial and industrial energy provider by independent consulting firm KEMA.
KEMA’s rankings, analyzed through August 2009, showed an estimated 15 TWh increase over August 2008, a nearly 40 percent increase in GDF Suez’s annualized sales. The increase included more than 4.8 TWh in annualized sales over the previous six months, helping the company to move up one place from its previous No. 3 ranking.
In its March 25, 2010, survey, “The Retailer Landscape: A Bi-Annual Assessment of Activity & Performance Among Competitive Retailers,” KEMA stated that GDF Suez Energy Resources had maintained its ranking as the nation’s No. 2 provider.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2012)|
GDF Suez Energy Resources NA is a supplier of electricity to industrial and commercial customers in 10 states and the District of Columbia across five ISOs (ERCOT, PJM, NYISO, NEPOOL, and MISO):
- Connecticut: GDF Suez Energy Resources NA was licensed by the state Department of Public Utility Control in September 2004. It serves customers in the territories of Connecticut Light and Power Company and the United Illuminating Company.
- Delaware: DF Suez Energy Resources NA was licensed by the Delaware Public Utility Commission in November 2004 and officially entered the market in December 2007. It serves customers in the Delmarva Light and Power Company territory.
- Illinois: GDF Suez Energy Resources NA received its state license from the Illinois Commerce Commission in June 2005, and serves the 22 counties that are in the ComEd territory.
- Maine: GDF Suez Energy Resources NA was licensed by the Maine Public Utilities Commission in March 2003, and serves customers in the Bangor Hydro Electric and Central Maine Power territories.
- Maryland: GDF Suez Energy Resources NA was licensed in March 2004 by the Maryland Public Service Commission.
- Massachusetts: GDF Suez Energy Resources NA was licensed by the Department of Telecommunications and Energy in May 2002. It serves customers in the territories of NSTAR, National Grid, Western Massachusetts Electric Company and Unitil (Fitchburg Gas and Electric Light Company).
- New Jersey: GDF Suez Energy Resources NA was licensed by the state Board of Public Utilities in August 2003. It serves customers in the Public Service Electric & Gas Co., Jersey Central Power & Light, Atlantic City Electric Company and Rockland Electric Company regions.
- New York: GDF Suez Energy Resources NA was licensed by the New York Public Service Commission in September 2004. It provides services to customers served by Consolidated Edison of New York, Inc.; National Grid; New York State Electric and Gas Corporation; Central Hudson Gas and Electric Corporation; Orange and Rockland Utilities, Inc.; and Rochester Gas and Electric.
- Pennsylvania: GDF Suez Energy Resources was licensed by the state Public Utility Commission in September 2002. It currently serves commercial and industrial customers in the Duquesne Light Company and PPL Electric Utilities territories.
- Texas: GDF Suez Energy Resources NA was licensed by the Public Utility Commission of Texas in August 2003. It serves customers in the ERCOT (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) regions of the following utility regions: Centerpoint, Oncor, Central Power and Light, West Texas Utilities and Texas New Mexico Power.
- Washington, D.C.: GDF Suez Energy Resources NA was licensed by the District’s Public Service Commission in January 2005.
Commitment to Sustainability
GDF Suez Energy Resources NA is committed to fulfilling its global commitment to sustainability, featuring products that better enable customers to manage their energy usage.
The company offers Demand Response services designed to help businesses to temporarily reduce power consumption; sells Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs), which are non-tangible energy commodities that represent proof that 1 megawatt of electricity was purchased from an eligible renewable energy source; and is developing additional products and services aimed at helping businesses reduce their energy consumption and increase their operational efficiencies, while protecting the environment.
In 2009, the company donated Green e-certified wind power Renewable Energy Certificates to support the generation of renewable energy during the week preceding Broadway’s Tony Awards and for the awards telecast itself. And in 2010, it supplied RECs to the Association of Energy Engineers for the Globalcon Conference & Expo.
Expanding Focus on the Pennsylvania Market
With the expiration of rate caps in Pennsylvania in 2010, GDF SUEZ Energy Resources NA began to expand its focus in the Pennsylvania market. The company initially entered the state in 2002 with service in the Duquesne Light Company region and began pricing in the areas served by PPL Electric Utilities in 2009.
Early successes in the state included winning a multi-year contract to supply 100 percent of the electricity to the Municipal Authority of the City of Sunbury and being selected by the Manufacturers Association of South Central Pennsylvania to supply electricity to the organization’s members.
As rate caps continue to expire at the end of 2010, the company announced plans to enter four new Pennsylvania markets: PECO, MetEd, Penelec, and Allegheny Power (West Penn). The company began pricing transactions April 1, 2010, that have a January 2011 start date.
To support its efforts, GDF SUEZ Energy Resources NA created a state-specific website, www.rediscoverenergypa.com, designed to provide critical information about the deregulated market to commercial and industrial customers in the regions it serves.
GDF SUEZ Energy North America Inc.
GDF SUEZ Energy Resources NA is the retail subsidiary of GDF SUEZ Energy North America, Inc., which is a business unit of GDF SUEZ Energy International. Headquartered in Houston, it has about $6 billion in annual revenues and manages a range of energy businesses in the United States, Mexico and Canada. These include electricity generation and cogeneration, natural gas and liquefied natural gas distribution and sales, asset-based trading and origination, and retail energy sales and related services to commercial and industrial customers.
GDF SUEZ Energy North America either owns or operates 59 power, cogeneration, steam, chilled-water and pumped storage facilities (including those that are in construction or development). Collectively, this represents a capacity of more than 8,000 MW of electricity generation, 6 million pounds per hour of steam, and 42,000 tons per hour of chilled water.
- "GDF Suez becomes second-largest retail electricity provider in US, Electric Light & Power". Elp.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- "The Retailer Landscape, A Bi-Annual Assessment of Activity & Performance Among Competitive Retailers". KEMA. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "2009 Tony Awards Go Green". Broadwayworld.com. 2010-06-05. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- "2010 Globalcon Conference & Expo Power by Renewable Energy from GDF SUEZ Energy Resources". Association of Energy Engineers. 2010-02-19. Retrieved 2010-02-19.
- "Shouldn’t be a shock: Energy rate caps inevitably coming off, say experts". Pocono Record. 2009-06-07. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- "GDF Suez Subsidiary to Power Municipal Authority of the City of Sunbury". Pipeline Gas & Journal. 2009-12-07. Retrieved 2009-012-07.
- "Manufacturers Association of South Central Pennsylvania Selects GDF Suez Energy Resources to Provide Members Competitive Electric Services". Austin Business Journal. 2010-05-05. Retrieved 2010-05-05.
- "Company Profile". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2010-06-25. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- "Company Profile". Hoover’s, a D&B Company. Retrieved 2010-06-25.