|Owned by||Geo TV|
|Picture format||4:3 (576i, SDTV)|
|Slogan||Geo Aur Jeenay Du|
|World TV Europe (Europe)||Channel 13|
|Sky (UK / Ireland)||Channel 817|
|Dish Network (US)||Channel 902|
|Southern Networks (Pakistan)||Channel 9|
|Cablelink (Philippines)||Channel 109|
|World On Demand (Japan)||Channel 116|
|PTCL Smart TV (Pakistan)||Channel 08|
|Freebox TV (France)||Channel 602|
|NeufBox TV (France)||Channel 630|
|TV Desi (Canada)||Channel ??|
|Geo News Live||Watch Live|
Geo News is a Dubai-based Pakistani news channel, owned and operated by Jang Group. Jang Group is a subsidiary of Independent Media Corporation. The channel started its Test transmission on 14 August 2002 and regular transmission in october 2002 . Geo News is Pakistan leading channel and has millions of Urdu-language viewers around the world .
- 1 Popular shows
- 2 Current Programs
- 3 Controversies
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Some popular programmes are Capital Talk with Hamid Mir, Meray Mutabiq, Aapas Ki Baat and the popular political comedy programmes Hum Sub Umeed Se Hain,and Khabarnaak. Geo News reported the Pakistani general election, 2013 on their Election Headquarter.
- Capital Talk
- Chal Parha
- Hum Sub Umeed Se Hain
- Hum Awam
- Aapas ki Baat
- Geo FIR
- Geo Ajooba
- Ek Din Geo k Sath
- Meray Mutabiq
- Geo Dost
2007 Pakistan state of emergency
After the imposition of a state of emergency in November 2007 in by then President Pervez Musharraf, the broadcasting of all private television news channels were obstructed by the Government. Geo News was completely banned to broadcast its news channel and entertaining channels by the Government. Pervez Musharraf claimed media was ‘promoting negativism’.
The ban was lifted on Monday 21 January 2008.
Case in Sindh High Court
On November 10, 2007, the Geo Network filed a court case with the Sindh High Court against the Government's ban on its four channels.
Order to shut down
On November 16, 2007 Geo TV Network received an order from local authorities to cut off all their live broadcast of programmes. Geo TV was also banned for showing any programme of Geo News' main stream anchors like Dr. Shahid Masood and Hamid Mir.
Geo News programs Capital Talk and Meray Mutabiq were banned again by Dubai government due to a request from the Pakistan Government. Due to this, the channel moved from Panamsat to Asiasat 3s, from Dubai to Islamabad.
Geo News taken off air again
On Friday the 13th March 2009 Geo News was taken off-air in the evening in many major cities of Pakistan. The step was taken by the Pakistan Government days before the lawyers in the country had called for 'Long March' to restore the Chief Justice of Pakistan, Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry. Geo News was targeted as Geo News was very actively promoting the 'Lawyers' Movement' and the 'Long March' and constantly going against the running government for several years. The elected Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) government ordered the cable operators to shutdown Geo News or shift the channel to a new 'number', so that the government can deny any allegations of blocking the news channel. It was reported that president Asif Ali Zardari had personally ordered Geo News be blocked on cable television across Pakistan.
Midnight 13/14 March 2009 Federal Minister for Information, Sherry Rehman, resigned from Federal Cabinet due to differences of opinion with the government over blocking Geo News. Prime Minister of Pakistan accepted the resignation.
Countrywide protests were held against curbs on media.
Geo News was allowed on-air on 15 March 2009 in most parts of Pakistan but its position was pushed further down the channel list due to government pressure on cable operators.
Attack on Hamid Mir
On April 19, 2014 Hamid Mir, a Geo News anchor was injured in a gun attack in Karachi, he was attacked by unknown men on his way to the Geo Office in Karachi. The anchor had allegedly been facing threats from Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), the country's premier spy agency, for his coverage and remarks on the Balochistan issue. Geo News was sharply criticized by the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and Pakistan Army for blaming the attempted assassination of Hamid Mir on the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and its Director General Zaheer-ul-Islam. The Pakistan Army complained to the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA), the country's electronic media regulator, through the Defense Ministry, to take action against the channel.
A PEMRA committee formed in response to the complaint, suspended Geo News's license. PEMRA distanced itself from the decision of the committee declaring that the constitution of the committee was against the law.
Veena Malik marriage
On May 16, 2014, Veena Malik's scripted wedding featured a sufi song that appeared to equate her and her spouse to the daughter of Muhammad and Ali. Geo published a full page apology for it and suspended the entire creative team behind the show however it was not enough to extinguish the anger by the Muslim community.
Kamran Khan left Jang group
On July 24,2014, senior journalist Kamran Khan announced that he was leaving Geo news and Jang group. He had worked with Jang group for more than three decades. He was considered as the face of the channel. Later it was found that he was joining Bol Media Group, an upcoming media house.
- Pakistani general election, 2013
- * Staff, Reporter (2007), "Curbs imposed on media", Daily Dawn, retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * Staff, Correspondent (2007), "TV channels off air in AJK", Daily Dawn, retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * Dawn, Reporter (2007), "Gen Musharraf’s second coup : •Charge-sheet against judiciary •Media ‘promoting negativism’ •Country’s ‘integrity at stake’ •Legislatures intact", Daily Dawn, retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * Borger, Julian (2008-01-22), "Musharraf finally lifts ban on TV news channel", The Guardian (London), retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * "Geo News shut down on President's order in parts of country", The News, 2009, retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * Ditz, Jason (2009), Pakistan Orders TV News Channel Silenced, Anti War News, retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * Correspondent, Khabrein.Info (2009), Zardari banned Geo TV bypassing Gilani, Sherry Rahman, Khabrein.info, retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * "Sherry Rehman's resignation now official", Daily Dawn, 2009, retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * Zein, Basravi (2009-03-14), Pakistan TV station reportedly blocked in parts of country, CNN, retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * Hamid, Mir (2009), "Crackdown on media proposed Sherry threatens resignation; govt terms report baseless", The News, retrieved 2009-03-14.
- * "Sherry Rehman resigns", Daily Times, 2009, retrieved 2009-03-15.
- * Khalid, Saadia (2009), "Countrywide protest against media curbs", The News, retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "Hamid Mir defiant, still holds ISI responsible for attack". DAWN. 24 April 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "Pemra forms committee to review govt application against Geo TV". DAWN. DAWN. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "Pemra disowns members’ decision to suspend Geo licences". DAWN. 20 May 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "Media crisis turns into PEMRA chaos". DAWN. 20 May 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2014.