|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
|Developer(s)||Tony "Ponder" Cannon|
|Stable release||0.30 (May 10, 2011)|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
GGPO (short for Good Game Peace Out) is middleware designed to help create a near-lagless online experience for various emulated arcade games and fighting games. The program was created by Tony Cannon, co-founder of fighting game community site Shoryuken and the popular Evolution Championship Series.
Before its creation, GGPO creator Tony Cannon was completely dissatisfied with the 2006 Xbox 360 re-release of Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting after experiencing its criticized online capabilities. As a reaction to its service, Cannon began development on GGPO and released the first ever version in late 2006. Cannon later demonstrated GGPO to Capcom, which was positively received.
The downloadable GGPO client currently supports many games from Capcom and SNK including Super Street Fighter II Turbo, The King of Fighters 2002, and Metal Slug X through use of emulator. Video game companies have also implemented a licensed version of GGPO. Games using it include Skullgirls, Killer Instinct (2013 video game), and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition.
Using a netcode technique called "rollback," GGPO puts lag ahead of a player's move which partially hides latency and creates a lagless illusion. The effects examine which players performed the right actions and correct any possible inaccuracies. The program itself can allow players to adjust latency in case of high ping situations; either creating a possibly jerky yet accurate representation or a smoother game with input delay.
The downloadable GGPO client itself has a matchmaking system for every game provided. Players can request challenges while others are able to spectate and chat. Once a challenge initiates, the match runs a ROM from emulator FinalBurn Alpha.
Games using GGPO
- Final Fight: Double Impact (2010)
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale (2011)
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition (2011)
- Skullgirls (2012)
- Marvel vs. Capcom Origins (2012)
- Darkstalkers Resurrection (2013)
- Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (2013)
- Divekick (2013)
- Killer Instinct (2013)
- Lethal League (2014)
- Yatagarasu (Legend of Raven) (TBA)
- Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm (TBA)
- "GGPO Networking Guru Talks SF HD Remix!". Capcom. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- "Interview: How A Fighting Game Fan Solved Internet Latency Issues". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Heart, Adam (6 June 2011). "Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online – 1st Trailer and Screens". Shoryuken. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition will be using GGPO netcode ...