Utah Pride Center
The Utah Pride Center is a tax-exempt nonprofit organization in Salt Lake City. It provides services, events and activities to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people in Utah. The center manages annual and ongoing projects including the Utah Pride Festival.
- 1 History
- 2 Mission statement
- 3 Leadership
- 4 Programs
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
- 7 Notes
- 8 References
Three LGBT centers were created in Utah from the 1970s through the 1990s. The name of the most recent center, Utah Stonewall Center, has been changed three times since its creation in 1991 as a project of the Gay and Lesbian Community Council of Utah.
Gay Community Services Center Inc.
Gay Community Service Center and Clinic
The Gay Community Service Center and Clinic was created in 1984. Its executive directors were Auntie Dé and Beau Chainé.
Utah Stonewall Center
The Utah Stonewall Center was created in 1991 through 1996 as a project of the Gay and Lesbian Community Council of Utah. The executive directors of the center were Craig Miller, Melissa Sillitoe, John Bennett, Renee Rinaldi, Michael O’Brien and Alan Ahtow.
Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Utah
The center was renamed in 1997 through 2004 as the Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Utah. Its executive directors were Monique Predovitch, Doug Wortham and Paula Wolfe.
Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Community Center of Utah
Utah Pride Center
The center was renamed in 2006 as the Utah Pride Center. Larabee resigned in 2013 as the center executive director after it experienced struggles with financial and leadership issues, and its staffers assumed her duties until a new executive director was appointed. Center Treasurer Steven Ha was appointed in 2014 to serve as the center interim executive director, and was later employed for one year as the center executive director. On December 12, 2014, less than a year after his appointment, the Utah Pride Center announced the resignation of Steven Ha due to a recurrence of lymphoma. Day to day operations continue under the direction of former board member Sheila Raboy and the center board of directors. The search for a new executive director is scheduled to commence early 2015.
The mission statement and purpose of the center reads:
“Utah Pride is a catalyst for building and celebrating the strength, equality, dignity and self-determination of the LGBTQ community throughout Utah. We are committed to excellence in execution and the continuing improvement of all programs, services, education and advocacy. We value and support individuals, families, and allies and building partnerships across communities.”
- Director of Operations - Sheila Raboy
- President - Kent Frogley, Salt Lake Community College
- Vice President - Christopher Wharton, Christopher Wharton Law
- Treasurer - Kathleen Boyd, Wells Fargo Private Bank
- Secretary - Jason Stoker, Community Member
- Health & Wellness
- Social Programs
- Advocacy & Education
- LGBTQ Elders 50+
- Support Groups
Additionally, the center provides meeting space, financial assistance and guidance to a number of smaller organizations known as affiliate programs, sponsors inter-organizational programs such the Utah GLBT Leadership Task Force and Utah GLBT Mental Health Task Force.
- Utah Pride Center
- Interview with Utah Pride Center Director of Development and Marketing Marina Gomberg, Aug 10, 2009
- Interview with Utah Pride Center Media & Special Events Coordinator Michael Westley, Aug 11, 2009
- "Gay Community Services Center Inc.". Business Search. Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code. 1975. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- Pride Guide 1996. Special Collections and Archives, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah, Salt Lake City: Gay and Lesbian Community Council of Utah. June 1996. p. 12.
- "Utah Pride Center". Business Search. Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code. 1992. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- Williams, Ben (2006-12-23). "December 1986". Memoirs of a Utah Gay Activist 1986. Ben Williams. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "9 applicants sought for Stonewall board". The Salt Lake Tribune (Salt Lake City: Kearns-Tribune LLC). 1992-02-18.
- "Gay group honors several Utahns, organizations". Deseret News (Salt Lake City: Deseret News Publishing Co.). 1993-02-11.
- "Mission & History". UtahPrideCenter.org. Utah Pride Center. 2010. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "Gay Community Services Center Inc.". Business Search. Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code. 2003. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- "Utah Pride Center". Business Search. Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code. 2006. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- Aaron, Michael; Bob Henline (2013-11-25). "Off Center: Utah Pride struggles with financial, leadership issues". QSaltLake Magazine (Salt Lake City: Gay Salt Lake Inc.). pp. OL. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "Utah Pride Center names new executive director, announces mental health clinic". QSaltLake Magazine (Salt Lake City: Gay Salt Lake Inc.). 2014-02-27. pp. OL. Retrieved 2014-05-08.
- "Programs". UtahPrideCenter.org. Utah Pride Center. 2010. Retrieved 2013-02-28.
- Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Utah records. Accession number (Accn) 1918. Salt Lake City: Special Collections and Archives, J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah. 2001.