GM-Ford 6-speed automatic transmission
|Body and chassis|
|Class||6-speed transverse automatic transmission|
General Motors and Ford Motor Company cooperated in 2002 to create a new automatic transaxle, designed for transverse engine applications in cars and light trucks. The companies jointly committed to investing US$720 million in their manufacturing plants to support the new transmission.
Each company will name and manufacture the transmission separately:
- Ford builds the 6F35,6F50 and 6F55 at their Van Dyke Transmission Plant in Sterling Heights, Michigan, and in the future at Sharonville Transmission in Sharonville, Ohio.
- GM builds the 6T70 and 6T75 at Warren Transmission in Warren, Michigan with production starting in July, 2006.
Ford claims the 6F50 is designed to handle 300 hp (224 kW) and 280 ft·lbf (380 N·m), while General Motors rates their 6T70 to 315 hp (235 kW) and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m) and the 6T75 to 315 hp (235 kW) and 300 lb·ft (407 N·m).
Ford appears not to have made a public statement regarding the 6F55's maximum capabilities, but uses it in AWD in the Taurus SHO with an engine rated at 272 kW (370 PS; 365 hp)and 475 N·m (350 lb·ft) of torque (Final drive 2.77:1).
The first application of the technology is in the 2007 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover SUVs, as well as the Saturn Aura sedan and the Saturn Outlook crossover. It was also used for the Pontiac G6 GTP models and the GMC Acadia models for 2007. Prior to 2009, this transmission had issues caused by a very weak 3,5,R wave plate, which made this transmission prone to failure in GM products. Updated wave plates were released for many clutches in 6T70. The old design wave plates weren’t stress relieved and could break with use. The updated wave plates are available under the following part numbers:
|4.484||2.872||1.842||1.414||1.000||0.742||2.88||2.77, 3.16, 3.39|
- 2007 Saturn Aura XR (LY7 V6 Option)
- 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP
- 2007 Saturn Outlook
- 2007 GMC Acadia
- 2008 Saturn Aura XR (LY7 V6 Option)
- 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP
- 2008 Buick Enclave
- 2008 Chevrolet Equinox (Sport Option)
- 2008 Chevrolet Malibu (LY7 V6 Option)
- 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP
- 2009 Chevrolet Traverse
- 2010 Chevrolet Equinox (LF1 V6 Option)
- 2010 Cadillac SRX
- 2010 Buick LaCrosse (LF1, LLT V6 Option)
- 2012 Chevrolet Impala
- 2013 Cadillac XTS
- 2007 Ford Edge
- 2007 Lincoln MKX
- 2008 Ford Taurus
- 2008 Ford Taurus X
- 2008 Mercury Sable
- 2009 Ford Flex
- 2009 Lincoln MKS
- 2009 Ford Escape
- 2009 Mercury Mariner
- 2009 Mazda Tribute
- 2010 Ford Fusion
- 2010 Lincoln MKZ
- 2010 Mercury Milan
- "New fuel-saving 6-speed transaxle to propel Ford Edge to head of crossover utility class". Ford Motor Company press release. Retrieved November 9, 2005.
- "New Hydra-Matic 6T70 Six-Speed Automatic Delivers Performance and Fuel Economy". TheAutoChannel. Retrieved January 20, 2006.
- "Technologically Advanced Transmissions Enter GM Fleet". AutoTrends. Retrieved June 3, 2008.