GM 4L80-E transmission
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||4-speed longitudinal automatic transmission|
The 4L80-E (and similar 4L85-E) is a series of automatic transmissions from General Motors. Designed for longitudinal engine configurations, the series includes 4 forward gears. It is an evolution of the Turbo-Hydramatic 400, first produced in October, 1963. 4L80-Es have been optioned only in Chevrolet/GMC pickups, vans, and commercial vehicles, and the Hummer H1.
The "MT1" 4L80-E is able to handle engines with up to 440 ft·lbf (597 N·m) of torque. Final drive ratios include 3.42, 3.73, and 4.10.
The 4L80E was rated to max GVWR of 18,000 (Axle and vehicle dependent) Applications:
- 1991–2013 Chevrolet C/K/Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra V8
- 1991–2013 Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon
- 1995–2003 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon
- 1991–1996 Chevrolet Van/Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana
- 2002–2006 Chevrolet Avalanche V8 8.1L
- 1992-2006 Hummer H1
- 1992–1998 Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit/Spur II, III, IV
- 1991–1992 Bentley Eight
- 1991–1997 Bentley Turbo R
- 1991–2002 Bentley Continental R/S/T
- 1999–2002 Bentley Arnage Red Label
- 1993–1996 Jaguar XJS
- 1994–1997 Jaguar XJR
- 1993–1997 Jaguar XJ12 / Daimler Double Six
- 1996–1999 Aston Martin DB7
The "MN8" 4L85-E is able to handle vehicles with up to 460 ft·lbf (624 N·m) of torque. Final drive ratios include 3.42, 3.73, and 4.10.
The 4L85E is able to handle vehicles with a GVWR of up to 18,000 lbs (dependent on axle ratio and vehicle)
- Chevrolet Avalanche
- Chevrolet Suburban
- GMC Yukon XL
- Chevrolet Express with Duramax Diesel
- GMC Savana with Duramax Diesel
Note:These transmissions have issues with early style 12 pin harnesses in which transmission fluid leaks around the harness and shorts the pinouts causing transmission to go into "limp mode" This issue can be easily rectified by simply cleaning the plug.
- GM Powertrain. "07 Hydramatic 4L series". General Motors. Retrieved 01/05/2014. Check date values in:
- GM powertrain. "07 Hydramatic 4L Series Specs". General Motors. Retrieved 1/5/14. Check date values in: