GM Gamma platform
|GM Gamma platform|
Opel Corsa, example of subcompact car based on the Gamma platform
|Also called||GM4300 platform|
|Body and chassis|
|Layout||Transverse front-engine, front-wheel drive/all-wheel drive|
Gamma is General Motors' global subcompact front-wheel drive automobile platform, first used in the 2000 Opel Corsa C. During the cooperation and crossover capital participation of GM and Fiat in 2002, both companies developed this as a common platform which had been used both in GM and in Fiat models.
Gamma / GM4300
The first version of the platform was issued in autumn 2000 with the introduction of Opel Corsa C and was a development of the earlier GM4200 platform used in previous Corsa models, developed by Opel in Germany. The wheelbase was enlarged to 2,491 mm (98.1 in) from 2,465 mm (97.0 in) on the GM4200.
Vehicles based on this platform:
- 2000–2006 Opel Corsa C
- 2001–2010 Opel Combo B
- 2002–2010 Opel Meriva A
- 2003–2011 Chevrolet Montana
- 2004–2009 Opel Tigra TwinTop B
In 2002, GM/Opel and Fiat developed together a new platform for small cars called SCCS (Small Common Components System abbreviated in Small): the Opel Corsa D was in fact developed over the same platform of Fiat Grande Punto. The SCCS platform was used only for Opel vehicles sold in Europe and not used the previous components of Gamma platform.
GM Korea has taken responsibility for future development of GM's GSV (Global Small Vehicle) architecture. This architecture will eventually be used for all small vehicles from GM, as a true global small car platform, though the 2012 The Opel Adam shares GM's Korea-developed Gamma II platform with the Chevrolet Spark. While the original Gamma was developed by Opel, the Gamma II platform is under the leadership of GM Korea (formally GM Daewoo).
Current and announced vehicles based on Gamma II (GSV) platform:
- 2010 Chevrolet Spark, Holden Barina Spark
- 2010 next generation Chevrolet Sail
- 2011 Chevrolet Aveo/Sonic, Holden Barina
- 2011 Chevrolet Cobalt
- 2012 Opel/Vauxhall Mokka, Buick Encore, Holden Encore
- 2012 Chevrolet Spin
- 2013 Chevrolet Onix
- 2013 Chevrolet Prisma mkII
- 2013 Chevrolet Trax
Gamma II concept vehicles:
- 2010 Chevrolet Aveo RS concept car
- "Fiat and GM together for small cars". Archiviostorico.corriere.it. 2009-12-24. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "GM Daewoo wins job to develop platform for Aveo, other small cars for GM worldwide". AutoWeek. Retrieved November 29, 2005.
- "Small GM Cars go Global". AutoWeek. Retrieved November 13, 2006.
- "Paris auto show review".
- "GM Inside News".
- "Chevrolet Trax - A Mini SUV Based On The GM Gamma II Platform". Sports Today. 8 July 2013. Retrieved 28 August 2013.