GM Gamma platform
|GM Gamma platform|
|Body and chassis|
Gamma is General Motors' global subcompact front-wheel drive automobile platform. During the cooperation and crossover capital participation of GM and Fiat, both companies developed this as a common platform which had been used both in GM and in FIAT models.
Gamma / GM4300
The first version of the platform was issued in autumn 2000 with the introduction of Opel Corsa C and was a development of the earlier GM4200 platform used in previous Corsa models, developed by Opel in Germany. The wheelbase was enlarged to 2,491 mm (98.1 in) from 2,465 mm (97.0 in) on the GM4200.
Vehicles based on this platform:
- 2000–2006 Opel Corsa C
- 2001–2010 Opel Combo B
- 2002–2010 Opel Meriva A
- 2003-2011 Chevrolet Montana
- 2004–2009 Opel Tigra TwinTop B
In 2002 GM/Opel and Fiat developed together a new platform for small cars called SCCS (Small Common Components System abbreviated in Small): the Opel Corsa D was in fact developed over the same platform of Fiat Grande Punto. The SCCS platform was used only for Opel vehicles sold in Europe and not used the previous components of Gamma platform.
GM Korea has taken responsibility for future development of GM's GSV (Global Small Vehicle) architecture. This architecture will eventually be used for all small vehicles from GM, as a true global small car platform, though the 2012 Opel Adam does not make use of the platform. Most of the engineering work on GSV based Opel/Vauxhall and Buick vehicles was done at Opel's International Technical Development Center (ITDC) in Rüsselsheim, Germany.
Current and announced vehicles based on Gamma II GSV platform:
- 2010 - present Chevrolet Spark, Holden Barina Spark
- 2011 - present Chevrolet Aveo/Sonic, Holden Barina
- 2011 - present Chevrolet Cobalt
- 2012 - present Opel/Vauxhall Mokka, Buick Encore
- 2012 - present Chevrolet Spin
- 2013 - present Chevrolet Onix
- 2013 - present Chevrolet Prisma mkII
- 2013 - present Chevrolet Trax
Gamma II concept vehicles:
- 2010 - Chevrolet Aveo RS concept car
- "Fiat and GM together for small cars". Archiviostorico.corriere.it. 2009-12-24. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "GM Daewoo wins job to develop platform for Aveo, other small cars for GM worldwide". AutoWeek. Retrieved November 29, 2005.
- "Small GM Cars go Global". AutoWeek. Retrieved November 13, 2006.
- "Vauxhall Adam design". Autocar. Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "Chevrolet Trax - A Mini SUV Based On The GM Gamma II Platform". Sports Today. 8 July 2013. Retrieved 28 August 2013.