GNU Data Language
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2011)|
GDL rendering the Mandelbrot set
|Stable release||0.9.4 / September 28, 2013|
|Platform||POSIX, Mac OS X|
|License||GNU General Public License|
The GNU Data Language (GDL) is a free alternative to IDL (Interactive Data Language). Together with its library routines, GDL is developed to serve as a tool for data analysis and visualization in such disciplines as astronomy, geosciences, and medical imaging. GDL is licensed under the GPL. Other open-source numerical data analysis tools similar to GDL include GNU Octave, NCAR Command Language (NCL), Perl Data Language (PDL), R, Scilab, SciPy, and Yorick.
GDL as a language is dynamically-typed, vectorized, and has object-oriented programming capabilities. GDL library routines handle numerical calculations (e.g. FFT), data visualisation, signal/image processing, interaction with host OS, and data input/output. GDL supports several data formats, such as NetCDF, HDF (v4 & v5), GRIB, PNG, TIFF, and DICOM. Graphical output is handled by X11, PostScript, SVG, or z-buffer terminals, the last one allowing output graphics (plots) to be saved in raster graphics formats. GDL features integrated debugging facilities, such as breakpoints. GDL has a Python bridge (Python code can be called from GDL; GDL can be compiled as a Python module).
GDL is not an official GNU package.
- Martellaro, John (2006-12-12). "A Free Alternative to IDL". The Mac Observer. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Khanna (2006-12-13). "GDL .. a free IDL". MacResearch. Archived from the original on 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Coulais, Alain; et al. (2010). "Status of GDL - GNU Data Language". Astronomical Society of the Pacific Conference Series. Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems XIX 434. Astronomical Society of the Pacific. p. 187. arXiv:1101.0679. ISBN 978-1-58381-748-3.
- Mina Koleva; Philippe Prugniel; Antoine Bouchard; Yue Wu (2009). "ULySS: A Full Spectrum Fitting Package". Astronomy & Astrophysics 501: 1269–1279. arXiv:0903.2979. Bibcode:2009A&A...501.1269K. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/200811467.; B.F. Roukema (2010). "On the suspected timing error in WMAP map-making". Astronomy & Astrophysics 518: A34. arXiv:1004.4506. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201014865.
- The GDL Team (2011). "GDL - GNU Data Language". SourceForge. Archived from the original on 2011-09-10. Retrieved 2011-09-10.