Command line interface of Mailman
|Initial release||July 30, 1999|
|Stable release||2.1.17 / November 23, 2013|
|Preview release||3.0b3 / December 31, 2012|
|Written in||Mostly Python, some C|
|Available in||Many languages|
|License||GNU General Public License|
GNU Mailman is a computer software application from the GNU Project for managing electronic mailing lists. Mailman is coded primarily in Python and currently maintained by Barry Warsaw. Mailman is free software, subject to the requirement of the GNU General Public License.
A very early version of Mailman was written by John Viega while a graduate student, who then lost his copy of the source in a hard drive crash sometime around 1998. Ken Manheimer at CNRI, who was looking for a replacement for Majordomo, then took over development. When Manheimer left CNRI, Barry Warsaw took over. Version 3 has been under development since 2009, with second and third betas released in 2012.
- A Web browser interface for list administration, archiving of messages, spam filtering.
- A customizable home page for each mailing list.
- Integrated bounce detection and automatic handling of bouncing addresses.
- Integrated spam filters
- Majordomo-style email based commands.
- Multiple list owners and moderators.
- Per-list privacy features, such as closed-subscriptions, private archives, private membership rosters, and sender-based posting rules.
- Support for virtual domains.
- Web based subscribing and unsubscribing. Users can temporarily disable their accounts, select email digest modes, hide their email addresses from other members, etc.
- Mailing list archiver (Pipermail, the name is visible in the URLs) inside the mailing list manager.
- Warsaw, Barry A. (30 July 1999). "Mailman 1.0". mailman-announce mailing list. http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-announce/1999-July/000004.html. Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- RELEASED: GNU Mailman 3.0 beta 3
- "freshmeat.net: Project details for GNU Mailman". Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager". Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "MyMailmanRole — Myriadicity Dot". Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- List Administrator's Guide
- "Mailman – An Extensible Mailing List Manager Using Python"; Ken Manheimer, Barry Warsaw, John Viega; presented at the 7th International Python Conference, Nov 10-13, 1998
- "Mailman: The GNU Mailing List Manager"; John Viega, Barry Warsaw, Ken Manheimer; presented at the 12th Usenix Systems Administration Conference (LISA '98), Dec 9, 1998
- Mailman Users Guide
- GNU Mailman chapter in The Architecture of Open Source Applications Volume 2
- Barry Warsaw presentation on Mailman 3 at PyCon US 2012