GQ Australia, or Gentlemen's Quarterly Australia, is the Australian version of popular magazine for men, GQ. GQ has been referred to as the male Vogue, with GQ Australia corresponding to Vogue Australia. The magazine is aimed at male adults, generally businessmen, who have some sort of interest in style, with articles ranging from style, to cars, to sex.
In its October/November 2011 issue, GQ Australia featured teen actor Taylor Lautner on its cover and in its interview, asked about his sexuality by bringing up a dinner he had with director Gus Van Sant and screenwriter Dustin Lance Black. Controversially, the magazine asked whether the pair "hit on him". Lautner replied: "No, definitely not. I think they know I'm straight. But they're great guys. They're a lot of fun."
The story was picked up by international gossip publications, and Perez Hilton covered the story, before Lance Black attracted attention by accusing the magazine of homophobia: "Leaning on lies, myths and stereotypes about gay people is hateful, harmful and outdated. It's not the 1950s anymore, GQ, it's 2011 and it's time to grow up," Black said on his blog. GQ subsequently responded that they were trying to portray Lautner as "irresistible to virtually everyone — regardless of sexuality or gender", and did not intend to make Van Sant or Black out to be "sexual predator[s]".
- GQ Australia. Vol. 1, no. 1 (Sept. 1998)- (Also titled Gentlemen's Quarterly Australia) Greenwich, N.S.W. : Condé Nast Publications Inc., 1998-
- Not published between Dec./Jan. 1999/2000 and Special ed. (2001). Monthly, Sept. 1998-Dec./Jan. 1999/2000. ISSN 1440-7795
- There were 2 versions of Australian Men Vogue Australian Men Vogue published by Bernard Leser, 1976- ISSN 0313-9069 - "Supplement to Vogue Australia" Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan./Feb. 1976) and also Men Vogue http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/19750162?q=Vogue+Men+Australia&c=book
- Dustin Lance Black: Australian GQ 'homophobic'. Sydney Star Observer. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- Taylor: "I'm Straight". MTV News Australia. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- Google News Search. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- Taylor Lautner Sets the Record Straight on Gay Rumors. PerezHilton.com. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- Dustin Lance Black Takes Aim at GQ Australia for the "Gay Question" Asked of Taylor Lautner. PerezHilton.com. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- GQ Responds To Taylor Lautner Controversy!. PerezHilton.com. Retrieved 15 November 2011.