GT Bicycles is a large American division of Canadian conglomerate Dorel Industries that supplies road, mountain, and bmx bicycles. The company was founded in 1979 by Gary Turner, a welding engineer and Richard Long, a bike shop owner. The company merged with Schwinn (Questor Partners) in 1998, but the conglomerate went bankrupt in 2001, and was acquired by Pacific Cycle. Dorel Industries acquired Pacific Cycle in 2004. GT itself acquired Auburn Racing and Dyno Products from Bob Morales plus Robinson Racing from Chuck Robinson in the late 1980s. GT is directly administered by Dorel although the Dyno label has been resurrected and is part of Pacific Cycle.
GT mountain bikes are often readily identifiable by the "triple triangle" frame design present in most hard-tail designs. Early BMX frames were also easily identifiable as the top tube seemed to bisect the seat tube and protrude beyond it by approximately an inch-and-a-half towards the rear of the frame. This innovative idea was claimed to reduce the amount of vibration transferred to the seat from the rear wheel. Later versions would actually have the customary "GT" letters stamped on the end of the protruding tube.
Factory Racing Team & GT Freestyle Team, GT Airshow There are six riders in the BMX Race Team. Riley O'Neail, Luke Madill, Joey Bradford, Eric Rupe and Arielle Martin (Verhaaren) compete in competitions held globally.
GT Freestyle, Santa Ana/Huntington Beach
BMX Freestyle and GT BMX have a well documented history on video and in magazine coverage from publications like Freestylin/Go, BMX Plus, and Ride which all fostered young talent like THE KING EDDIE FIOLA, Spike Jonze, Eddie Roman, and Mark Eaton and helped an entire generation of riders define themselves and their sport.
From the mid-eighties onward Team GT's Pro Freestyle riders were some of the biggest and most recognizable names in BMX
The GT BMX brand and team riders appear in the 'HellTrack' starting lineup scene in the BMX cult-classic film Rad. Famous names from the ranks of Teams past include X-Games Champions Dave Mirra, Jay Miron, Jamie Bestwick, Eddie Fiola, aka King of the Skateparks, Brian Scura 'Rad Dad' inventor of the Gyro, aka SST Oryg, Trevor Meyer, Martin Aparijo 'the Chairman' Josh White, Dino DeLuca, Dave Voelker, Brett Hernandez, Kevin Jones, Mark Eaton, Gary Pollak, Kevin the 'Gute' Gutierrez, Ruben Castillo, Robert Castillo, Jason Geoffery, Goro Tamai, Krys Dauchy, and Adam Jung.
Along with Team Haro, Team GT helped shape the future of BMX Freestyle and helped pioneer a sport once deemed nothing more than a fad. GT produced some of the first Freestyle specific bikes in their early Performer and World Tour models. Later highly successful models were the Pro Freestyle Tour, which saw the first use of mountain bike style brake mounts for use of Dia-Compe 990, Dyno Pro Compe: one of the most ridden Flatland frames of the early Nineties. GT was also there for the birth of street riding in the late Eighties with the GT Aggressor and Dyno Slammer bashguard models. GT also designed and sold the first flatland specific bike in the USA: the GT Show.
GT Bikes CURRENT Freestyle Team include the riders: Dave Dillewaard, Rob Wise, Eric Bahlman, Justin Coble, Bobby Kanode, and Calvin Krey.
Eight riders in the Mountain Team, compete in global competitions including Downhill, 4X, Trials, Freeride and Dirt jumping. The riders in the team are: Marc Beaumont, Hans Rey, Eric Carter, Roger Rinderknecht, Kevin Aiello, Andrew Cho, and Tyler McCaul. In 2012, GT added Kyle Strait, Dan Atherton, Gee Atherton, and Rachel Atherton to the team.
GT Bikes briefly served as team sponsors and bike supplier for Jelly Belly professional cycling team. After the 2009 season, the team ended their relationship with GT and began riding Focus bikes. Lotto pro cycling team (now Lotto-Belisol) at one time had Easton aluminium tubing GT frames. The team now rides on Ridley carbon frames.
Co – Factory Team
The Co – Factory Team was founded in 2008. The team is composed of riders from across the US riding for local dealer teams that represent GT Bicycles.
Notable past Factory team members
Gary Ellis, Greg Hill, Tommy Brackens, Mike King, Lee Medlin, Andy Patterson, "Chicken" George Seevers, Alexis Vergara, Terry Tenette, Randy Stumpfhauser, Thomas Allier, Eddie Livingston, Danny Nelson, Eddie Fiola,and Bob Morales. Past mountain bike team riders include Eric Carter, and Brian Lopes,
- Mach One
- Pro Series
- Pro Series (Team Model)
- Speed Series
- GT Zone
- Pro Performer
- Pro Freestyle Tour (older models were called the Pro World Tour)
- Pro Freestyle Tour (Team Model)
Road and Mountain
- Aggressor (polished aluminum hardtail)
- Arrowhead (Aluminium Hardtail)
- Avalanche (All mountain hardtails)
- Borrego (Steel Hardtail)
- Bravado (True Temper Chromoly Steel Hardtail -higher spec compared to Karakoram)
- CHUCKER (aluminum dirt jumper)
- Chucker (freeride/Dirt jump Hardtail)
- Course (Very Rare Road, Reynolds 853)
- DHi (Downhill bikes)
- Distortion (dual suspension slopestyle and 4X bike)
- Edge (Road Series)
- Fury (Unique full carbon downhill frame)
- iT-1 (Downhill/freeride Dual Suspension)
- Karakoram (Steel Hardtail)
- La Bomba (4X hardtail)
- Lightning (Titanium hardtail)
- LTS (Full Suspension)
- Outpost (Mountain Hardtail)
- Pantera (All mountain hardtails)
- Psyclone (Fillet Brazed Steel Hardtail)
- Psyclone (hard tail, hand made steel frame from GT Tech Shop, True Temper and Reynolds 853)
- Rebound (Steel, and then later aluminum, hardtail)
- Richter 8 (Steel Hardtail)
- Road and Mountain
- RTS (Full suspension)
- Ruckus (freeride Hardtails and Duallys also Dirtbikes)
- Saddleback Mtn hardtail
- Slipstream (Comfort)
- STS (Carbonbikes)
- Talera (Mountain Hardtail)
- Tequesta (Steel hardtail)
- Timberline/Nomad (Comfort)
- Xizang (Hand polished Titanium hardtail)
- Zaskar (Aluminum and recently Carbon fibre, hardtail)
- vZR series road bikes with a numerical designation, the lowest being the best spec'd bike (i.e., a ZR 1.0 was a better quality bike than a ZR 4.0).
- ZRX (Cyclocross)
GT also manufactured a series of highly regarded Track bikes
- GTB (General Track Bike)
- GT Pulse
- Jamie Skinner
James Holmes Signature alex frame
- GT Factory Racing, aka Atherton Racing