Sidibe at the 2010 CBS Summer Press Tour Party.
May 6, 1983 |
Bedford–Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, U.S.
|Parents||Alice Tan Ridley
Gabourey Ridley Sidibe (/ / GAB-ə-RAY SID-ee-BAY; born May 6, 1983) is an American actress who made her acting debut in the 2009 film Precious, a role that brought her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress. From 2010 to 2013, she was a main cast member of the Showtime series The Big C. She co-starred on the television series American Horror Story: Coven as Queenie.
Early life and education
Sidibe was born in Bedford–Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York, and was raised in Harlem. Her mother, Alice Tan Ridley, is an American R&B and gospel singer who appeared on the fifth season of America's Got Talent, on June 15, 2010. Her father, Ibnou Sidibe, is from Senegal and is a cab driver. Growing up, Sidibe briefly lived with her aunt, the noted feminist activist Dorothy Pitman Hughes. She has attended Borough of Manhattan Community College, City College of New York, and Mercy College. She worked at the Fresh Air Fund's office as a receptionist before she went on to pursue a career in acting.
In Precious, Sidibe plays the main character, Claireece "Precious" Jones, an obese 16-year-old girl with two children (both of whom are the results of being raped by her father) trying to escape abuse at the hands of her mother. The film won numerous awards, including two Academy Awards, a Golden Globe Award and Sundance Film Festival Grand Jury Award. On December 15, 2009, she was nominated for a Golden Globe in the category of Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture Drama for her performance in Precious. The next month she received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress.
In 2011, Sidibe was in the film Tower Heist and voiced a party girl character in "Hot Water", the season 7 premiere of American Dad!. She also stars in the music video for "Don't Stop (Color on the Walls)" by indie pop band Foster the People. Sidibe also appeared in the Showtime network series entitled The Big C.
During an interview, Sidibe reported that before landing her role in the 2009 film, Precious, Joan Cusack advised her that the entertainment industry was not for her and to quit, leaning over and stating: "Oh honey, you should really quit the business. It's so image-conscious."
In April 2013, it was announced that Sidibe would be joining the cast of the third season of American Horror Story, portraying Queenie, a young witch. She is poised to return to the series for its fourth season, American Horror Story: Freak Show.
|2009||Precious||Claireece "Precious" Jones|
|2011||Yelling to the Sky||Latonya Williams|
|2011||Tower Heist||Odessa Montero|
|2013||White Bird in a Blizzard||Beth|
|2010||Saturday Night Live||Host||Episode: "Gabourey Sidibe/MGMT"|
|2010–13||The Big C||Andrea Jackson||30 episodes|
|2011||Glenn Martin DDS||Keisha||Episode: "Date with Destiny"|
|2011–12||American Dad!||Party Girl||Episode: "Hot Water"|
|Herself||Episode: "Stanny Tendergrass"|
|2013–present||American Horror Story||Queenie||12 episodes (Coven)|
- Foster the People: "Don't Stop (Color on the Walls)" (2011)
- Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx: "(I Wanna) Channing All Over Your Tatum" (2014)
Awards and nominations
- List of black Academy Award winners and nominees
- List of black Golden Globe Award winners and nominees
- Lee, Felicia R. (2007-08-05). "Luckily, There's Plenty of Her for Everybody". New York Times. p. 2.
- "Mo'Nique on her open marriage.". Oprah.com. Archived from the original on 2008-01-31. Retrieved January 28, 2008.
- Yarbrough, Marti (November 11, 2002). "Actress and comedienne Mo'Nique of the Parkers talks about her: career new book `Skinny Women are Evil' new fiance". JET Magazine.
- "Gabourey Sidibe". The New York Times.
- Stated on the Late Show with David Letterman, November 9, 2009.
- Williams, Kam (November 10, 2009). "Gabby Sidibe "Precious" Interview with Kam Williams". NewsBlaze. Retrieved November 10, 2009.
- Stephanie Marcus. "Gabourey Sidibe's Speech on Confidence is Incredibly Moving". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- Right Cinema. "Gabourey Sidibe profile". Movies.rightcelebrity.com. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- "A Breath of Fresh Air". New York Social Diary.
- "Push' takes Sundance grand jury award" Ed Zeitchik, Hollywood Reporter, January 24, 2009
- Yadegaran, Jessica (November 12, 2009), "Gabourey Sidibe on being 'Precious'", San Jose Mercury News, retrieved November 15, 2009
- Gabourey Sidibe, Jimmy Kimmel. Jimmy Kimmel Live!. Jimmy Kimmel Live! Channel.
- Fisher, Kelly (April 26, 2012). "WATCH: Gabourey Sidibe: Joan Cusack Told Me To Quit Show Business". Huffington Post.
- "Gabourey Sidibe Reveals the Terrible Advice She Got From Joan Cusack" Video, Yahoo.com.
- Keveney, Bill (April 29, 2013). "Gabourey Sidibe joins 'American Horror Story: Coven'". USA Today. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- "'American Horror Story: Freak Show' adds Michael Chiklis; Emma Roberts and Gabourey Sidibe returning". Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (March 29, 2014). "'American Horror Story' Enlists Michael Chiklis for 'Freak Show'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gabourey Sidibe.|