|Born||9 December 1927|
|Died||2 August 2012
|Institutions||University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
|Notable awards||Royal Medal (2001)|
Sir Gabriel Horn, MD, ScD, FRS, FRCP (9 December 1927 – 2 August 2012) was a British biologist and Emeritus Professor in Natural Sciences (Zoology) at the University of Cambridge. His research was into the neural mechanisms of learning and memory.
Horn was born on 9 December 1927. He attended Handsworth Technical School, Handsworth, Birmingham. He left the school at 16 to work in his parents' shop. He studied part-time for a National Certificate in Mechanical Engineering, achieving distinction. He served in the Royal Air Force, before studying for a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery at the University of Birmingham.
Horn's first academic position was in 1956 at the Department of Anatomy, University of Cambridge as a Demonstrator in Anatomy. He became a Lecturer and then a Reader, before leaving to become Professor of Anatomy at the University of Bristol in 1974. In 1975, while at Bristol, he obtained an his DSc degree. In 1977, he returned to Cambridge to head the Department of Zoology. He retired in 1995 and was Emeritus Professor. He was Master of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge from 1992 to 1999 and Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the university from 1994 to 1997. He remained a fellow of Sidney Sussex College after 1999 until his death, and was a fellow of King's College, Cambridge, from 1962 to 1974 and from 1978 until 1992.
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1986, receiving their Royal Medal in 2001. He was given an Honorary Doctor of Science degree by the University of Birmingham in 1999 and by the University of Bristol in 2003. He was knighted in the 2002 New Year Honours "for services to Neurobiology and to the Advancement of Scientific Research".
- "Notices 2012". Royal Society. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Brown, M. W. (2013). "Sir Gabriel Horn 9 December 1927 -- 2 August 2012". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2013.0016.
- "Professor Sir Gabriel Horn". Cambridge University. 6 July 2011. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- "Professor Sir Gabriel Horn, FRS - Doctor of Science". University of Bristol. 28 February 2011. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2001. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- Research summary, Department of Zoology website
- Gabriel Horn interviewed by Patrick Bateson 16th January 2007 (and continued 3rd April 2007) (film)
- Sir Gabriel Horn's webpage
Donald Henry Northcote
|Master of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge