Tamaș playing for Auxerre in 2008
|Full name||Gabriel Sebastian Tamaș|
|Date of birth||9 November 1983|
|Place of birth||Braşov, Romania|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|Current club||Free Agent|
|2004–2005||→ Dinamo Bucureşti (loan)||27||(1)|
|2008–2009||→ Dinamo Bucureşti (loan)||34||(2)|
|2010||→ West Bromwich Albion (loan)||23||(2)|
|2010–2013||West Bromwich Albion||45||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 06:35, Octomber 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Braşov, Braşov, Romania, Tamaș started his career at Romanian clubs in lower divisions. In the summer of 2002 he transferred to Dinamo Bucureşti who he spent a year with before earning a move to Turkish team Galatasaray where he spent a season-and-a-half before being linked with a move to the Russian Premier League.
Tamaș secured a move to FC Spartak Moscow in January 2004, but returned to Dinamo Bucureşti in summer 2004 on a season-and-a-half loan, returning to Spartak in January 2006. Tamaş again moved out on loan to Celta de Vigo for the duration of the 2006–07 season.
He joined AJ Auxerre at the start of the 2007–08 season. After one year spent at AJ Auxerre he joined Dinamo Bucureşti for a one year loan. On 14 February 2009 he was sent to the reserve team due to an incident involving drinking alcohol drinks while in training. On 12 July 2009 the Romanian central defender extended his loan for another season. He was also elected captain of the team by his teammates.
His loan to Dinamo Bucureşti was cut short in December 2009, and on 1 January 2010, Tamaş signed for West Bromwich Albion on loan until the end of the season. He made his debut on 8 January in a 1–3 loss to Nottingham Forest. He scored his first goal for West Brom against Reading on 27 March 2010. On 19 May 2010, Tamaş signed permanently at The Hawthorns for an Undisclosed fee on a three-year contract, plus a further year's option in the club's favour. On 11 September 2011, in a match against Norwich City, he elbowed James Vaughan in the face inside his own penalty area. The referee gave no penalty and let the play continue, but he was given a three match ban for violent conduct after the match.
He ended his contract with WBA by mutual consent, in September 2013. On 9 October 2013, Tamaș signed a one-year contract with Romanian Liga I club CFR Cluj. On 16 October, he ended his contract with CFR Cluj following incidents in a local pub. He has recently been linked with a move to Rangers.
On 11 August 2011, Tamaș and his teammate Adrian Mutu were excluded from the Romanian national team. They were found drinking at a bar on the night of 10 August, while footballers had to play for the Romanian team against San Marino in a friendly match. After only three games, their suspension was lifted.
|1||2 June 2007||Arena Petrol, Celje, Slovenia||Slovenia||0–1||1–2||UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying|
|2||1 November 2007||Naţional Stadium, Bucureşti, Romania||Albania||2–0||6–1||UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying|
|3||29 May 2010||Ukraina Stadium, Lviv, Ukraine||Ukraine||1–1||3–2||Friendly|
- "Barclays Premier League Squad Numbers 2013/14". Premier League. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "BBC Sport Football player profile Gabriel Tamaş". BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Badea: "Tamaş se va pregăti cu Dinamo II"". Dinamovisti.ro. 14 February 2009.
- "West Brom 1–3 Nottm Forest". BBC. 8 January 2010. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "Reading 1–1 West Brom". BBC. 27 March 2010. Retrieved 1 April 2010.
- "West Bromwich Albion clinch Gabriel Tamas transfer". BBC. 19 May 2010. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- "Tamas bids fond farewell". wba.co.uk. 4 September 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "UPDATE Primele declaraţii ale lui Tamaş ca jucător la CFR Cluj" (in Romanian). Gazeta Sporturilor. 09 October 2013. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "Tamaş, dat afară după 6 zile de la CFR!" (in Romanian). Gazeta Sporturilor. 15 October 2013. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "Gabriel Tamaș – player's profile". RomanianSoccer. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- "National team of Romania – 2007 statistics". RomanianSoccer. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- "Adrian Mutu banned for life by Romania for night of drinking with West Brom's Gabriel Tamas". The Daily Telegraph. 11 August 2011.
- "Mutu si Tamas revin la nationala!". Ziare.com. 30 September 2011. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gabriel Tamaș.|
- Gabriel Tamaş – FIFA competition record
- Gabriel Tamaş career stats at Soccerbase
- Gabriel Tamaș at National-Football-Teams.com
- UEFA.com profile