|Gabriela S. Böhm|
Böhm at the LILLIFF Film Festival (2007)
|Born||1964 (age 50–51)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina to immigrant parents — survivors of the Holocaust — she completed high school and the army in Israel before she moved to the United States. Böhm is fluent in Spanish, English and Hebrew. She studied painting, sculpture, art history, photography and film at A Midrasha Le Morim Leomanut Art School in Israel (1985–1986), got a BFA from New York University Tisch School of the Arts (1990) and is an MFA candidate in documentary film at the Maine Media College.
Her first feature-length documentary, Passages (2000), which she wrote, directed and produced with her company Böhm Productions, won the Best Documentary award at the Woodstock Film Festival. This personal film was a search into her family's history in an attempt to pass on its legacy to her unborn son.
Böhm also wrote, directed, produced and co-edited The Longing: The Forgotten Jews of South America (2007), which has won numerous awards including Best Documentary at the Long Island Latino International Film Festival, a Telly Award for Religion and Spirituality, and Best Latino Film at the Santa Fe Film Festival. The film tells the story of modern day Crypto-Jews (or marranos) forced to convert to Catholicism during the Inquisition in Spain and Portugal and who are now returning to their Jewish faith. The film has screened internationally at film festivals in the US, Canada, South America, Europe and Israel.
She also directed, produced, wrote and edited Voice-Less, a short experimental film that screened at many US film festivals.
Böhm is currently in pre-production for her latest documentary project, Meideles of the Night (working title), a full-length documentary about the 20th century Jewish white slave trade in South America.
Today Böhm is an American citizen, and she lives with her son in Los Angeles.
- The Longing: the Forgotten Jews of South America (2007) - 75 min
- Passages (2000) - 65 min
- The Wild Side - short documentary
- Voice-less (1990) - short film
- Rossi, Fernanda (April 2008). "The Doc Doctor's Anatomy of a Film: "The Longing"". Independent Magazine. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Passages". Woodstock Film Festival. 2001. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Santa Fe Film Festival - an FFW festival profile". FilmFestivalWorld.com. December 12, 2007. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- Fox, Michael (July 20, 2007). "Three faces of Sephardic Jews on display at fest". jweekly.com. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- Pfefferman, Naomi (November 7, 2008). "‘The Longing’ documents crypto-Jews caught between two worlds". Jewish Journal. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "The Longing: The Forgotten Jews of South America (2006)". The New York Times. September 11, 2008.
- "The Longing: The Forgotten Jews of South America". Indiana University. October 2001. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- Robbins, Jon (January 18, 2007). "Gabriela Böhm Discusses Her Documentary, "The Longing: The Forgotten Jews of South America"". New York Jewish Film Festival Blog. Retrieved 2010-05-01.