Gabriella Ambrosio (born November 1954) is an Italian writer, journalist, academic, and advertising creative director. Her essays Siamo Quel che Diciamo ("We Are What We Say") and Le Nuove Terre della Pubblicita ("The New Advertising Land") are required advertising texts in several universities in Italy. Her first novel, Prima di Lasciarsi ("Before We Say Goodbye"), related to a suicide bombing in Jerusalem, has been translated into several languages including Hebrew and Arabic.
Education and early career
In 1992 she co-founded the advertising agency AM, now YesIAm, which has received international awards for its creative output. She was also a communications professor at La Sapienza University in Rome, and is a member of the Italian Art Directors Club, the association of Italian advertising professionals.
Prima di Lasciarsi (Before We Say Goodbye), her first novel, is based on the true story of the Kiryat HaYovel supermarket bombing in Jerusalem, committed by Ayat al-Akhras, a seventeen-year-old Palestinian girl from the Dheisheh refugee camp. The book narrates the final hours in the lives of the bomber and her victims – a seventeen-year-old girl from Jerusalem and the security guard whose intervention saved the lives of the rest of the people at the busy market on that Passover Eve. The story begins at seven o'clock in the morning on the day of the attack and ends with the horrifying explosion. Despite the very short time span – seven hours – seen from the points of view of the different characters, the book tries to portray the complex reality between Israel and Palestine. The book was published in Italy in 2004 by Nutrimenti Publishers and was awarded at the Festival du Premier Romance in Chambéry, France. In 2008 the book's publication in both in Arabic and Hebrew was sponsored by Amnesty International and employed by Israeli colleges and human rights organizations working in Israel and the Palestinian Territories as an educational tool.
It has been published in the UK, Australia, and in New Zealand by Walker Books, in France as Deuze Heures Avant ("12 Hours before"') '(Gallimard), by Fischer Verlag in Germany as Der Himmel uber Jerusalem "The sky above Jerusalem"), as well as in Spain, Turkey, Greece, South Korea  and China.
Other Works of fiction
Her short story "Sticko" was published in 2009 in the book Freedom, an anthology of thirty-six short stories written by some of the leading fiction writers in the world, each inspired by an article of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and subsequently published in Canada, the US, Spain, Italy, Turkey, and Poland.
It has been nominated for the 2015 Pushcart Prize in US by The Atlas Review.
- "Siamo Quel che Diciamo" ("We Are What We Say") ISBN 88-8353-536-7
- "Le Nuove Terre della Pubblicita" ("The New Advertising Lands") ISBN 88-8353-408-5
- Prima di Lasciarsi 2004
- לפני הפרידה, Pardes, 2008
- Prima di Lasciarsi, in Arabic, 2008
- Before We Say Goodbye, 2010
- Douze heures avant, Gallimard (France), 2011
- Der Himmel uber Jerusalem, Fischer (Germany), 2012
- Antes de despedirnos, Planeta, Spain, 2011
- Ayrılmadan Önce, Kemzi Kitabevi, Turkey, 2011
- Prima di Lasciarsi, Psichogios, Greece, 2012
- 안녕이라고 말하기 전에, Joongang Books, Korea, 2012
- 哭泣的耶路撒冷 Jieli Publishing House, China. BSY310
- Freedom, 2009
- "Masová komunikace je slabým bodem dnešních demokracií" [Mass communication is the weak point of today's democracies]. Hospodářské noviny (in Czech). 18 December 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Lillo Perri (27 June 2007). "La pubblicità cambia volto" [The changing face of advertising]. Meltemi Editore (in Italian). Retrieved 20 August 2014. Review of Le nuove terre della pubblicità by Gabriella Ambrosio.
- "Teoria e tecnica della comunicazione pubblicitaria — Portale Docenti" (in Italian). Università degli studi di Macerata. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Tecniche Della Comunicazione Pubblicitaria" (in Italian). Università degli Studi di Salerno. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Alcuni esempi di 'Guerrilla Marketing'" [Some examples of 'Guerrilla Marketing'] (in Italian). acciardi-liberacomunicazione. 15 December 2006. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "The new worl of advertising". Libri Blog. 1 August 2010. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- [dead link]
- The event, festival magazine, http://www.festmag.co.uk/archive/2010/212-before_we_say_goodbye
- Ronny Shaked (November 5, 2008). "Separate lives, one death". Ynetnews. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Shira Stiv (14 January 2009). להמציא מלים לפחד, גבריאלה אמברוסיו, לפני הפרידה [Invent words to fear, Gabriella Ambrosio, Before Parting]. Haaretz (in Hebrew). Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Amazon.com listing: Before We say Goodbye. Amazon.com.
- Douze heures avant: Amazon.fr: Gabriella Ambrosio, Lise Caillat: Livres. Amazon.com.
- Der Himmel über Jerusalem (Fischer Taschenbücher Allgemeine Reihe) : Hardback : Gabriella Ambrosio, Annette Kopetzki : ISBN 9783596854714. Bookdepository.co.uk.
- Antes de despedirnos: Amazon.co.uk: Gabriella Ambrosio, Manel Martí: Books. Amazon.com.
- Ayrılmadan Önce ( Gabriella Ambrosio ). Kitapnehri.com.[dead link]
- (Korean) [인터넷교보문고] 꿈을 키우는 세상. Kyobobook.co.kr.
- The websites of the following publishers: Planeta Noguer , Remzi Kitabevi , Joongang Books (now a division of Random House), Jeili Publishing House , Psychogios .
- see: THE UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN ONTARIO. London. Canada. Department of English and Women's Studies. Testimony, Youth and Human Rights. Fall 2014
- Tania Hershman. "Freedom: Short Stories Celebrating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights". the short review. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Amnesty International UK: Synopsis and Reviews of "Freedom". Amnesty International. (10 December 1948).[dead link]
- Freedom: Short Stories Celebrating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights synopsis and brief reviews. Random House (3 September 2009).
- ISBN 88-88389-26-1
- ISBN 978-965-7171-79-0
- ISBN 978-1-4063-2504-1
- ISBN 978-2-07-063842-0
- ISBN 978-3-596-85471-4
- ISBN 978-84-279-0138-4
- ISBN 978-975-14-1431-1
- ISBN 978-960-496-634-9
- ISBN 9788927803515
- ISBN 978-1-84596-494-8