||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (August 2010)|
Gaby Moreno in Acceso Total
|Birth name||Maria Gabriela Moreno Bonilla|
|Born||16 December 1981|
|Origin||Guatemala City, Guatemala|
|Genres||Blues, Jazz, soul, R&B|
|Associated acts||Ricardo Arjona|
Maria Gabriela Moreno Bonilla (born 16 December 1981 in Guatemala City, Guatemala), known as Gaby Moreno, is a Guatemalan singer-songwriter and guitarist. Her music ranges from blues, jazz, soul to R&B, . Moreno sings both in English and Spanish. She has recently become known to a broader audience in Latin America, after recording a song with Ricardo Arjona (Fuiste tu, 2011).
Maria Gabriela Moreno Bonilla was born on 16 December 1981 in Guatemala City.
Critical praise 
KCRW's Ariana Morgernstern, producer of Morning Becomes Eclectic, featured Moreno in an October 2008 podcast and bestowed "Today's Top Tune" status on her song "Song of You." She said she was "caught by surprise with its organic and understated feel. She sings beautifully both in English and Spanish."
NPR.org reviewed Moreno's debut record Still the Unknown and said: "Whether Moreno decides to stick with pop, soul or Latin (or a fusion of all three) for future releases, Still the Unknown is a promising debut that indicates she won't go unnoticed for much longer." NPR.org - Gaby Moreno Song of You 
In 2006, she won the Grand Prize in the John Lennon Songwriting Contest with her song "Escondidos," first in the Latin category, then overall.
In 2010 Moreno was awarded "Favorite American Latino Indie Artist" at the American Latino Awards (run by American Latino TV).
2011 Critical Praise:
- "Gaby Moreno's soulful vocals and ability to switch languages and genres have made her a rising star." -NPR All Things Considered 
- "The Guatemalan songwriter Gaby Moreno plucked ragtimey syncopations on a well-worn acoustic guitar, and let loose a tangy, bluesy voice with the feistiness of Édith Piaf."- NY Times 
- "Moreno's breathtaking voice is passionate and stylistically malleable, as she glides back and forth easily between bossa nova and bluesy rock."-NPR Tiny Desk Concerts 
- "This Guatemalan American singer-songwriter alternates fluidly between languages, whether spoken (English and Spanish) or musical, easing in and out of everything from folksy alt country to retro blues rock …Plucky, quirky and insightful, Moreno has the grace and the skill to make it big." – Rhapsody: #3 Top 10 Latin Alt Albums of Spring 2011 
- "Our little secret is neither little nor secret any more ...[On] Illustrated Songs, influences of soul and Spanish ballads explode in a synergy of musical pieces that impeccably represent a young artist with a rich, old soul" – Al Borde 
- "I really fell in love with this record, because there is so much to her voice …her voice really stands out - very sweet and soulful … adapting to different genres of music … she can go from a dreamy/folksy, very laid back feel, to a tougher edge blast of R&B, to a song that reminds me of something from the 1920's ...to a Brazilian bossa nova song that she sings in English and Spanish." – Felix Contreras, NPR's "Alt. Latino" 
- "The Best [New] Latin Music... Meet your next favorite from the Spanish-speaking world: Gaby Moreno, Old-School, soulful pop... Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone and Ella Fitzgerald are hard acts to follow, but Gaby Moreno takes her idols' signature bluesiness and marries it with a little Latin flare" – Latina Magazine 
2012 Critical Praise:
- "5 Latinos to Look Out for in 2012" - "Joan Smalls, Gaby Moreno, Jorge Garcia, Thomas Suarez and Mayra Alvarez will probably become household names in the months to come. Her new album, Illustrated Songs, was listed one of "The Best Latin Music Albums of 2011" by About.com, and she will be busy touring Europe, Latin America and the U.S. in 2012." - NBC Latino 
- "The more a thing is stereotyped to death, the more refreshing it is to encounter the skilled reaffirmation of its ideal. With Guatemala-born, L.A.-based Gaby Moreno (October 9, McRaney's Tavern), it's the female singer-songwriter form that she has rescued from the abyss of cliché. She doesn't radically change its rules or anything – she just does it with a little more flavor and a lot more skill. And that's what separates her from typical coffeehouse fare. With an exceptionally rich and assured voice, and a palette that spans Latin, blues, folk, jazz and pop, she's a marquee talent. Her singing is effortlessly bright with purpose and not just a display of ostentatious acrobatics. In fact, there's something very classic about her expression. In her voice, the flame of the female greats is alive." -Orlando Weekly 
- In August 2009 Moreno toured along with established singer/songwriter Tracy Chapman.
- Later in November 2009, Moreno toured as direct support for Ani Difranco, on an east coast tour. Difranco invited Moreno back out on tour January/February 2010.
- July 2010: Tour in Germany (e.g. in Constance, Heidelberg and Ravensburg) and France
- In early 2011 Moreno and her band played their first headlining tour. They toured through the Netherlands and Belgium performing as part of the "World Sessions" tour. In addition, Moreno and her band opened as direct support for Nouvelle Vague for three shows in Germany.
- In late 2011 Gaby toured the U.S. East coast as direct support for The Milk Carton Kids.
- February 2012: Concerts in France
- Spring 2012: Concerts together with Ricardo Arjona during his "Metamorfosis World Tour"
- June 2012: Performance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" to commemorate 50 years of Amnesty International, together with Kris Kristofferson and others.
- May/June 2012: Concerts in Ireland ("Electric Burma" in honor of Aung San Suu Kyi together with Bono, Damien Rice, Bob Geldof, Angelique Kidjo etc.), Germany, France and London (with Van Dyke Parks)
- July 2012: Concerts in France, including Le Havre, Verdun and Paris.
- 2009: Smile - The Cove - sang the song "Smile" (written by Charlie Chaplin) in the Academy Award-winning documentary
- 2010: Quizas - cover song
- 2009: Still the Unknown (released independently)
- 2010: A Good Old Christmastime EP (released independently)
- 2011: European release of Still the Unknown (World Connection Records)
- 2011: Illustrated Songs (released independently)
- 2012: European release of Illustrated Songs (World Connection Records)
- 2012: Postales (Metamorfosis)
-  NPR - Today's Top Tune
-  - NPR.org - Gaby Moreno "Song of You"
-  - NBC's Parks & Recreation
-  NPR's All Things Considered
-  NY Times
-  NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts
-  Rhapsody
-  Al Borde
-  NPR's Alt Latino
-  Latina
-  NBC Latino
-  Orlando Weekly
-  Oscars.org - Nominees and Winners
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Gaby Moreno|