Gabz in 2013
|Birth name||Gabrielle Gardiner|
11 December 1998 |
Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England
|Labels||Sony, Syco|
Gabrielle "Gabz" Gardiner (born 11 December 1998) is a British singer-songwriter from Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England, who reached the final of the seventh series of Britain's Got Talent in 2013. She released her debut single "Lighters (The One)" on 30 June 2013 via Sony Music, which peaked at #6 on the UK Singles Chart.
2013: Britain's Got Talent
In her audition, screened on 26 May 2013, Gabz performed an original composition called "The One". When asked beforehand what the song was about, she stated that it was about "losing the love of your life". She received praise from the judges, with Simon Cowell stating, "I absolutely loved that. I really did. I think that's a cute little song, great chorus, you know, produced properly that song... you may have something there." Gabz received four "yes" votes from the judges and was put through to the next round, and subsequently the semi-finals. In the semi-final on 28 May, she performed the song again, this time with a backing track and choir. Amanda Holden likened Gabz to a young Lily Allen. Walliams urged Cowell to make the song available for purchase, predicting it could make number one in the UK Singles Chart. Gabz landed in the top three of the night, and with comedian Jack Carroll already through, it was down to the judges to choose between Gardiner and Irish singers Jack and Cormac. All four judges voted for Gabz, thus sending her through to the final.
It was revealed that it was Gabz's idea to audition, and that her father almost refused to let her audition because of her bad attitude at home, and required her to get better, and eventually let her after the deadline was extended. She also stated that "It would be amazing to win – I'm not expecting it – I don't think I will. I'm really really happy to get this far, I can't believe it, it's great, I'm just hoping I can get a record deal or something so I can show more of my songs – I've written over 30 now." Her hometown also saw support, with banners supplied by businesses around her hometown.
In the final, Gabz performed a mash-up of a new song "Lie There" and "The One". She finished in seventh place with 3.6% of the vote.
Cowell stated his intention to give Gabz a record deal after Britain's Got Talent. She released "The One", renamed to "Lighters (The One)", on 30 June 2013 via Sony Music. It was produced by Graham Stack. The single debuted at number 6 in the UK Singles Chart. Her second single, "Lie There", was released on 3 November 2013. The video was released on 21 October.
|Song||Year||Peak chart positions|
|"Lighters (The One)"||2013||6||10||7|
|"Lighters (The One)"||2013||Greg Francis|
- Hewett, Emily (28 May 2013). "Britain's Got Talent judges predict No. 1 for Gabz's song The One". Metro (Associated Newspapers). Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Britain's Got Talent finalist: The One and only Gabz | News | Britains Got Talent | STV". Shows.stv.tv. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- Manning, Jenny (30 May 2013). "Britain's Got Talent Gabz's dad: I almost didn't let her audition | The Sun |Showbiz|TV|Britain Got Talent". The Sun. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- Luckyirish (11 June 2013). "Britain's Got Talent finalist Gabz Gardiner would 'love' to release The One – News". The Comet. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Britain's Got Talent 2013: Simon Cowell keen to sign Gabz Gardiner". Telly Mix. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- Gill, Nick (20 June 2013). "Britain's Got Talent finalist Gabz Gardiner to release single". The Comet (Archant Community Media). Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Britain's Got Talent 2013: Gabz Gardiner to release Lighters (The One) as her debut single later this month! Hear it now! (VIDEO)". Unreality TV. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- Gill, Nick (8 October 2013). "Britain’s Got Talent finalist Gabz Gardiner to release Lie There". The Comet (Archant Community Media). Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- Gill, Nick (21 October 2013). "Britain’s Got Talent finalist Gabz releases Lie There video". The Comet (Archant Community Media). Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Gill, Nick (8 June 2013). "Interview: Gabz Gardiner’s dad on Britain’s Got Talent final preparations". The Comet (Archant Community Media). Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- Peak positions in the UK:
- Peak positions in Ireland:
- Peak positions for singles in Scotland:
- "Gabz - Lighters (The One) - Behind The Scenes". YouTube. 27 June 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2013.