|Developer(s)||GG Network S.A.|
|Initial release||August 15, 2000|
|Stable release||184.108.40.20603 / December 13, 2013|
|Operating system||Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, iOS, Android, Symbian, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS|
|Available in||Polish and English|
|Type||Instant messaging client|
Gadu-Gadu (Polish for "chit-chat"; commonly known as GG or gg) is a Polish instant messaging client using a proprietary protocol. Gadu-Gadu is the most popular IM service in Poland, with over 15 million registered accounts and approximately 6.5 million users online daily. Gadu-Gadu’s casual gaming portal had some 500,000 active users at the end of March 2009. Users send up to 300 million messages per day.
Gadu-Gadu uses its own proprietary protocol. As with ICQ, users are identified by unique serial numbers. Protocol's features include status messages, file sharing, and VoIP. Users may format and embed images in messages. Since client version 6.0, an experimental secure connection[vague] mode can be used.
The official client provides over 150 emoticons, allows grouping contacts, sending SMS and integrates with other services ran by the same company: a virtual Internet dial-up, a social networking site MojaGeneracja.pl and an internet radio Open.fm.
Gadu-Gadu allows its users to add personal information to a publicly searchable directory. The website to register for Gadu-Gadu is www.gg.pl. Language options include English and Polish. There is also a browser version available.
- "Brands | Gadu Gadu". Naspers.com. Retrieved 2010-06-29.[dead link]
- "Historia Gadu-Gadu | Gadu-Gadu - Multimedialna Platforma Komunikacyjna". Info.gadu-gadu.pl. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- "Gadu-Gadu S.A.: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. 2007-12-18. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- Naspers: Integrated annual report 2011. Cape Town, South Africa: Naspers. 2011. p. 10.
- (Polish) Gadu-Gadu (now GG) main site that offers downloading their software for Windows (8 and Phone), OS X, Linux, Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Java MIDP 2.0. The web version (of IM and other services) appears after logging in. There are no international (i.e. English) version of software neither web IM.
- (English) Palringo, mobile GG compatible multi-IM
- (English) Pidgin, Linux GG compatible multi-IM
- (Polish) Unicom
- (Polish) List of IM clients at the Open Directory Project which often support the Gadu-Gadu protocol