Gaeltacht Iorrais agus Acaill
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2013)|
There are three Irish-speaking areas in County Mayo; Erris, Achill island and Toormakeady. Erris is located in North-West Mayo, Achill island is directly south of Erris and Tourmakeady is along the border with County Galway. There are nearly 2,500 Irish speakers in these areas.
There are over 1,500 Irish speakers in Erris.
List of EDs in the Erris area:
- Cnoc an Daimh (375) (67%)
- An Geata Mor Theas (894) (40%)
- Moing na Bo (304) (22%)
- An Geata Mor Thuaidh (851) (19%)
- Beal Deirg Mor (197) (17%)
- Cnoc na Lobhar (816) (17%)
- Barr Ruscai (129) (15%)
- Na Monga (249) (14%)
- Gleann Chaisil (476) (14%)
- Beal an Mhuirthead (1,808) (13%)
- Cnoc na Raithe (782) (13%)
- Guala Mhor (119) (8%)
- Gleann na Muaidhe (241) (7%)
Of the 2,500 people living in the Achill parish area 550 are Irish speakers.
List of EDs in the Achill island parish area:
- An Corran (730) (25%)
- Acaill (934) (24%)
- Dumha Eige (654) (20%)
Tuar Mhic Eidigh
The Tourmakeady area is an Irish-speaking area in the south of County Mayo along the border with County Galway. It is an extension of the Galway Gaeltacht. There are 1,000 people living in the area and approx. 400 are Irish speakers.
List of EDs in the Tourmakeady area:
- Abhainn Bhrain (242) (54%)
- Baile an Chalaidh (229) (41%)
- Partrai (38) (31%)
- An Cheapaigh Dhuibh (328) (29%)
- An Baile Obha (166) (28%)
- Tamhnaigh na Grai (50) (10%)