|Member of the Connecticut House of Representatives
from the 143rd district
January 5, 2011
|Preceded by||Peggy Reeves|
|Constituency||Norwalk (part), Westport (part), Wilton (part)|
|Spouse(s)||Jean-Pierre S. Lavielle|
|Alma mater||Cornell University,
Yale University Graduate School
UConn Business School
Gail Lavielle is a Republican member of the Connecticut House of Representatives, where she represents the 143rd Assembly District. The district includes parts of Wilton, Norwalk, and, following redistricting in 2012, Westport. Representative Lavielle is the House Ranking Member of the Connecticut General Assembly's Commerce Committee, and serves on the Appropriations, Education, and Higher Education Committees.
Lavielle worked for more than 25 years in finance, marketing, and communication, holding executive leadership positions with Fortune 500 corporations, including chief executive of a subsidiary of the Interpublic Group and Senior Vice President of Suez Environment. She also held Series 7, 66, and 31 securities licenses.
While a PhD candidate, she taught undergraduate courses at the University of Connecticut (UConn), and holds an MA in French from Yale, a BA in English from Cornell University, and an MBA in finance from UConn. As a music critic, her reviews appeared in The Wall Street Journal and other publications; she is also the author of a book on opera.
Lavielle has served on the Connecticut Public Transportation Commission, the Connecticut Advisory Council for Professional Standards for School Administrators, and the Governor’s task force on rail station parking and access, as well as the Wilton Board of Finance, the Wilton Energy Commission, and the Norwalk River Valley Trail steering committee. She is a member of the Board of Directors of the Norwalk Senior Center and the Child Guidance Center of Mid-Fairfield County, and is an Advisory Board member of Wilton Go Green, ITN Costal CT, and Norwalk Hospital.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2011: Tip of the Cap Award for education advocacy, from ConnCAN (Connecticut Coalition for Achievement Now)
- 2012: Environmental Champion, from the Connecticut League of Conservation Voters
- 2012: "Woman of the Year", from the Homebuilders and Remodelers Association of Fairfield County
- 2013: Stepping Up for Children Award, from Stepping Stones Museum for Children in Norwalk, CT
- 2013: "Children's Champion", from Connecticut Early Childhood Alliance
- 2013: Environmental Champion and Transportation Leader, from the Connecticut League of Conservation Voters
|Connecticut House of Representatives
143rd Assembly District