||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2008)|
|• Total||1,267.89 km2 (489.54 sq mi)|
|• Density||226/km2 (590/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
|Website||Official Map of the Galachipa Upazila|
Galachipa is located at. It has 49,982 households and a total area of 1267.89 km².
Galachipa Upazila has many rivers and canals. The Bay of Bengal is very close here. However, Galachipa is situated on the bank of the Ramnabad. Due to the river Galachipa is a famous port for rice and other crops. A large Haat takes place every Saturday based on the river. It is one of the largest Haats of greater Barisal. Another famous river of Galachipa is Agunmukha.
As of 1991 Bangladesh census, Galachipa has a population of 286,307. Males constitute 51.36% of the population, and females 48.64%. This Upazila's adult population is 137,818. Galachipa has an average literacy rate of 29.4% (7+ years), and the national average of 32.4% literate.
Galachipa has 13 Unions/Wards, 145 Mauzas/Mahallas, and 230 villages.
- Amkhola Union
- Bakulbaria Union
- Bara Baisdia Union
- Chalitabunia Union
- Chiknikandi Union
- Chhota Baisdia Union
- Char Kajal Union
- Char Biswas Union
- Charmontaz Union
- Dakua Union
- Galachipa Union
- Gazalia Union
- Golkhali Union
- Kalagachiya Union
- Panpatti Union
- Rangabali Union
- Ratandi Taltali Union
Galachipa Upazila is famous for academic affairs. There are number of schools, madrashas and colleges here.
- Galachipa High School
- Ulania Hat High School
- Galachipa Degree College
- Panpatty High School
- Bango Bondhu Girls High School
- Haridevpur High School
- Galachipa Girls' Secondary School
- Haridebpur Secondary School
- Charkhali Secondary School
- Galachipa Girls' College
- Galachipa High School attached Primary School
- Udayan Pre-Cadet School
- North Chair Khali High School
Places of interest
Galachipa Upzilla is famous for her "Charanchal". "Char" means land disconnected from the mainland by rivers. These lands are highly disconnected and the river route is the only route. Road traffic has not been arranged yet. Some chars are larger while some are very much smaller. Rangabali, Baher Char, Barho Baishdia, Choto Baishdia, Chalitabunia, Char Kajal, Char Shiba, Char Montaj, Char Biswas, Mayar Char, Char Karfarma, Char Lakshmi, Char Kukrhi Mukrhi, Latar Char, Char Kalagachia, etc. are very known to all. The land of these chars are very fertile and crops grow heavily here. But most of the people here are poor and deprived. They also suffer from lack of information greatly and their style of life is very low. The people here are mainly "Bhumiheen" (landless).
- Sankar Lal Das (2012). "Galachipa Upazila". In Sirajul Islam and Ahmed A. Jamal. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- Rajib Mondal (2012). "Rangabali Upazila". In Sirajul Islam and Ahmed A. Jamal. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Population Census Wing, BBS.". Archived from the original on 2005-03-27. Retrieved November 10, 2006.