|Created by||Dan Fogelman|
|Narrated by||Ben Presley|
|Theme music composer||Alan Menken|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||8 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Dan Fogelman
|Editor(s)||David L. Bertman|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||River Studios
Rhode Island Ave.
|Picture format||720p (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original run||January 4, 2015– present|
Galavant is an American fairy tale-themed musical comedy television series that was created, written, and executive produced by Dan Fogelman with executive producers Alan Menken, Glenn Slater (both also serving as songwriters and composers), Chris Koch (who is also a director), and Kat Likkel & John Hoberg (also serving as writers) for ABC Studios.
The series debuted on ABC during the 2014–15 television season as the mid-season fill-in for Once Upon a Time. The first season consisted of eight episodes which aired over four weeks, as ABC had scheduled two episodes per Sunday. The series reunites Fogelman, Menken, and Slater, who had worked together on the 2010 animated film Tangled (produced by ABC's corporate sibling Walt Disney Animation Studios).
A teaser trailer debuted on September 28, 2014 on ABC during the Once Upon A Time season premiere, which described the series as a four-week "comedy extravaganza" that would air in January 2015. On November 5, 2014, ABC announced that the series would air on Sundays at 8:00 p.m. Eastern/7:00 p.m. Central starting January 4, 2015.
The series follows the adventures of Galavant, a dashing knight hero down on his luck who is determined to reclaim his reputation and his "Happily Ever After" by going after the evil King Richard, who ruined it the moment he stole the love of Galavant's life, Madalena. He is assisted by Princess Isabella, whose kingdom of Valencia Richard has conquered, and Sid, his squire. Meanwhile, the murderous but weak-willed Richard tries to win over the scheming Madalena. The episodes chronicle Galavant's journeys (and the twists and turns that go along with them) through musical numbers composed and written by Menken and Slater.
Cast and characters
- Joshua Sasse as Galavant
- Timothy Omundson as King Richard
- Vinnie Jones as Gareth
- Mallory Jansen as Queen Madalena
- Karen David as Princess Isabella Maria Lucia Elizabetta of Valencia
- Luke Youngblood as Sid
- Ben Presley as Steve Mackenzie, the Jester and the Narrator
- Darren Evans as Chef Vincenzo
- Stanley Townsend as the King of Valencia
- Genevieve Allenbury as the Queen of Valencia
- John Stamos as Sir Jean Hamm
- Hugh Bonneville as Peter the Pillager
- Sophie McShera as Gwynne
- "Weird Al" Yankovic as Confessional Monk
- Ricky Gervais as Xanax the wizard
- Rutger Hauer as Kingsley
- Anthony Stewart Head as Galavant's Father
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||"Pilot"||Chris Koch||Dan Fogelman||January 4, 2015||101||7.42|
|After Madalena dumps Galavant for King Richard, Princess Isabella tries to bring him out of his drunken state to save her kingdom.|
|2||"Joust Friends"||Chris Koch||Dan Fogelman||January 4, 2015||102||7.42|
|Galavant and Isabella train for a local joust, where Galavant will face his old rival, Sir Jean Hamm. Meanwhile, King Richard tries to "man up" to get Madalena's approval.|
|3||"Two Balls"||Chris Koch||Dan Fogelman||January 11, 2015||103||4.11|
|A trip to Sid's hometown proves he has not been truthful; King Richard throws a ball for the people of Valencia.|
|4||"Comedy Gold"||John Fortenberry||Kat Likkel & John Hoberg||January 11, 2015||104||4.11|
|Galavant, Isabella and Sid must learn to see past their petty arguments and work together when captured by stranded pirates; King Richard enlists the Jester to help him be funnier.|
|5||"Completely Mad...Alena"||John Fortenberry||Casey Johnson & David Windsor||January 18, 2015||105||3.42|
|Galavant, Isabella and Sid arrive at the castle, only to be captured; Galavant realizes Isabella has betrayed him; Madalena decides to take control of the kingdom.|
|6||"Dungeons and Dragon Lady"||James Griffiths||Kirker Butler||January 18, 2015||106||3.42|
|Galavant forgives Isabella and they admit a mutual attraction; Chef takes King Richard to see a wizard in order to find out the reason for his psychological problems; Madalena calls Richard's older brother Kingsley to usurp the throne.|
|7||"My Cousin Izzy"||Chris Koch||Scott Weinger||January 25, 2015||107||4.37|
|Richard and Kingsley agree to fight a duel, but with Galavant fighting for Richard and Gareth fighting for Kingsley; Isabella's cousin Harry shows up to rescue everyone and reveals that, though only a child, he's betrothed to Isabella; Chef and Gwynne plot to poison the royals.|
|8||"It's All in the Executions"||Chris Koch||Kristin Newman||January 25, 2015||108||4.37|
|Galavant and Richard plot to assassinate Kingsley but are caught; Gareth helps Richard and Galavant escape with the agreement that Gareth will look after Galavant's friends and Galavant will look after Richard; Gareth allows Isabella, her parents, Chef, Gwynne, and the Jester to escape but keeps Sid as a hostage; Madalena stabs Kingsley in the back and offers Gareth the throne; Isabella seeks asylum with Harry, who locks her in a giant dollhouse.|
The following songs featured on Galavant are performed by the Galavant cast, with music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Glenn Slater.
|Galavant (Isabella Reprise)|
|She'll Be Mine|
|2||"Joust Friends"||Hero's Journey|
|Maybe You're Not the Worst Thing Ever|
|3||"Two Balls"||Previously On Galavant|
|Oy! What a Knight|
|Jackass in a Can|
|Dance Until You Die|
|Lords of the Sea|
|5||"Completely Mad...Alena"||Galavant Gallivants|
|No One But You|
|Hey, Hey, We're the Monks|
|If I Could Share My Life With You|
|Hey, Hey, We're the Monks (Reprise)|
|6||"Dungeons and Dragon Lady"||I Love You (As Much As Someone Like Me Can Love Anyone)|
|A Day in Richard's Life|
|Love Is Strange|
|7||"My Cousin Izzy"||Moment in the Sun #1|
|Moment in the Sun #2|
|A Happy Ending For Us|
|Moment in the Sun #3|
|Moment in the Sun #4|
|Moment in the Sun #5|
|8||"It's All in the Executions"||Galavant Finale|
|Goodnight My Friend (Short)|
|Goodnight My Friend|
|Goodnight My Friend (Reprise)|
An official soundtrack was released on iTunes on January 19, 2015.
All songs written and composed by Alan Menken and Glenn Slater.
|1.||"Galavant"||Ben Presley and the Cast of Galavant||2:21|
|2.||"She'll Be Mine"||Timothy Omundson, Vinnie Jones, and the Cast of Galavant||2:11|
|3.||"Maybe You're Not the Worst Thing Ever"||Timothy Omundson, Mallory Jansen, Karen David, and Joshua Sasse||1:42|
|4.||"Oy! What a Knight"||Faith Prince, Michael Brandon, Luke Youngblood, Karen David, and the Cast of Galavant||1:52|
|5.||"Jackass in a Can"||Joshua Sasse and the Cast of Galavant||1:44|
|6.||"Togetherness"||Joshua Sasse, Luke Youngblood, and Karen David||2:23|
|7.||"Comedy Gold"||Ben Presley and Timothy Omundson||2:21|
|8.||"Lords of the Sea (feat.Hugh Bonneville)"||Cast of Galavant||1:46|
|9.||"No One But You"||Mallory Jansen||2:00|
|10.||"Hey, Hey, We're the Monks (feat. "Weird Al" Yankovic)"||Cast of Galavant||1:16|
|11.||"If I Could Share My Life With You"||Darren Evans and Sophie McShera||2:20|
|12.||"A Day in Richard's Life (feat. Ricky Gervais)"||Cast of Galavant||2:47|
|13.||"Love Is Strange"||Karen David and Joshua Sasse||1:43|
|14.||"Goodnight My Friend"||Timothy Omundson||2:20|
Galavant has received generally positive reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes, the show holds a rating of 84%, based on 24 reviews, with an average rating of 7.1/10. The sites critical consensus reads, "While the jokes in Galavant ride the line of predictability, their execution, along with campy themes and silly musical numbers, make it memorably entertaining." On Metacritic, the show has a score of 61 out of 100, based on 20 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
The New York Times ' Neil Genzlinger gave it a mixed response saying, "Despite some amusing bits and clever songs, it's only occasionally as much fun as it ought to be." Brian Lowry of Variety gave it a mostly positive review saying, "Owing a strong debt to Monty Python and a lesser one to spoofs like 'When Things Were Rotten,' 'Galavant' largely overcomes the challenges that have traditionally bedeviled TV musicals with rambunctious energy, cheeky lyrics and music, and — significantly — a half-hour format, thus condensing the need to create songs into a manageable task."
TV Line's Matt Webb Mitovich wrote, "With some resignation, given a colleague’s 'meh' reaction to the pilot, I finally cued up Galavant… and found myself binge-watching the six episodes available to me. (And I seldom binge anything.) That’s why I think ABC is smart to double-pump episodes, because yes, the plot progression is a bit slow, pausing as it does to allow for song-and-dance numbers and vamping by the more colorful characters (the king included). You’ll want two at a time to come away satisfied." Alan Sepinwall of HitFix, however, was more negative, writing, "...the whole is less than the sum of its comic and musical parts."
|1||"Pilot"||January 4, 2015||2.0/5||7.42||0.9||2.53||2.9||9.95|
|2||"Joust Friends"||January 4, 2015||2.0/5||7.42||0.9||2.53||2.9||9.95|
|3||"Two Balls"||January 11, 2015||1.3/3||4.11||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|4||"Comedy Gold"||January 11, 2015||1.3/3||4.11||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|5||"Completely Mad...Alena"||January 18, 2015||0.9/2||3.42||0.6||TBA||1.5||TBA|
|6||"Dungeons and Dragon Lady"||January 18, 2015||0.9/2||3.42||0.6||TBA||1.5||TBA|
|7||"My Cousin Izzy"||January 25, 2015||1.1/3||4.37||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|8||"It's All in the Executions"||January 25, 2015||1.1/3||4.37||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
- "ABC Unveils 2014–15 Primetime Schedule". The Futon Critic. May 13, 2014. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "ABC courts women with fall schedule" from USA Today (May 13, 2014)
- Hyman, Vicki (2 January 2015). "Bawdy musical fairy tale 'Galavant': ABC leaps off a cliff with creator Dan Fogelman". NJ.com (Advance Digital). Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "ABC Announces Premiere Dates for "Galavant" and "Marvel's Agent Carter"". The Futon Critic. November 5, 2014. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- TV Scoop. "Scoop: GALAVANT on ABC - Tonight, January 18, 2015". broadwayworld.com.
- "'Galavant' recap: 'My Cousin Izzy' - Season 1 Episode 07 - EW.com". EW.com.
- "Genevieve Allenbury Joins ABC's Comedy Pilot 'Galavant' - TVWise". TVWise. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "HUZZAH!!! THE JANUARY COMEDY EXTRAVAGANZA, "GALAVANT," PREMIERES JANUARY 4 ON ABC WITH BACK-TO-BACK EPISODES". The Futon Critic. 2014-12-15. Retrieved 2014-12-14.
- "Downton Abbey's Hugh Bonneville Joins ABC's Musical Galavant". TV Guide. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "'Galavant' recap: 'Completely Mad...Alena' - Season 1 Episode 05 - EW.com". EW.com.
- "Al Yankovic on Twitter: "I’m in England this week shooting #Galavant, ABC’s new medieval comedy musical TV series (coming in January). #Monks http://t.co/AYKZgrIH3D"". Twitter.com. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Ricky Gervais to peddle potions on ABC's musical 'Galavant'". EW.com. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Rutger Hauer joins ABC comedy Galavant". Digital Spy. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "(#107/108) "My Cousin Izzy/It's All in the Executions". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (January 7, 2015). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'The Simpsons', 'Madam Secretary', 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine', 'The Celebrity Apprentice', 'Bob's Burgers' & 'CSI' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 13, 2015). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'The Good Wife' Adjusted Up + Final Ratings for The Golden Globe Awards & NFL". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 14, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (January 21, 2015). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Resurrection' Adjusted Up, 'Mulaney' Adjusted Down & Final Football Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 21, 2015.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 27, 2015). "Sunday Final Ratings: No Adjustment for 'Galavant', 'Revenge' or 'CSI'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 27, 2015.
- "Galavant - Music Lounge". ABC.
- "iTunes - Music - Galavant (Original Soundtrack) by Cast of Galavant". iTunes.
- "Galavant: Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved 2015-01-05.
- "Galavant on Metacritic". Metacritic. CBS Interactive, Inc. Retrieved 2015-01-05.
- Genzlinger, Neil (2015-01-02). "A Kingdom of Jousting, Kidnapping and Some Saucy Singing, Too". Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Lowry, Brian (2015-01-02). "TV Review: ‘Galavant’". Variety. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- Mitovich, Matt (December 28, 2014). "First Impression: Will ABC's Galavant Make for a Fun Knight?". TV Line. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- Sepinwall, Alan (January 2, 2015). "Review: ABC's 'Galavant' has catchy songs, off-key comedy". HitFix. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (January 20, 2015). "'Revenge', 'Galavant' & 'Family Guy' Have Biggest Adults 18-49 Increase, 'Revenge' Tops Percentage Gains & 'Blue Bloods' Grows Most in Viewership in Live +7 Ratings for Week 15 Ending January 4". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (February 2, 2015). "'Modern Family' Biggest Adults 18-49 Increase, 'Revenge', 'Forever' & 'State of Affairs' Top Percentage Gainers & 'Castle' Grows Most in Viewership in Live +7 Ratings for Week 17 Ending January 18". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 2, 2015.