Galena Creek Bridge
|Galena Creek Bridge|
|Carries||I‑580 / US 395|
|Locale||Washoe County, Nevada, U.S.|
|Maintained by||Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT)|
|Total length||1,725 feet (526 m)|
|Height||295 feet (90 m)|
|Longest span||689 feet (210 m)|
|Number of spans||7|
|Constructed by||C.C. Myers, Inc.|
|Construction end||August 20, 2012|
|Opened||Southbound lanes: August 24, 2012
Northbound lanes: August 27, 2012
The Galena Creek Bridge is a twin-span concrete arch bridge in Washoe County, Nevada. The bridge carries Interstate 580 and U.S. Route 395 over Galena Creek between Carson City and Reno. It was opened to traffic in late August 2012.
The bridge has a total length of 1,725 feet (526 m) and main span length of 689 feet (210 m). The height is 295 feet (90 m). The bridge is reportedly the largest cathedral arch bridge in the world; that is a type of open-spandrel deck arch bridge where the arch supports the deck only at the center.
Construction was started in 2003 but was delayed by a number of safety concerns and other issues. In 2006, the original prime contractor found the planned construction method unsafe; the method was revised and a new contractor hired. In 2010, several long superficial cracks were found. On July 28, 2012, the Nevada Department of Transportation held a community event for pedestrian, bicycle, and limited motor vehicle traffic to see the bridge prior to it opening for traffic; the bridge and freeway project opened in late August 2012.
- "Galena Creek". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- DeLong, Jeff (2012-05-29). "Last big push on Galena Creek Bridge will finish Reno-Carson freeway". Reno Gazette-Journal. Gannett Company. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Durski, Brad F. (Winter 2010). "Nevada's Galena Creek Bridge". Aspire. Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "Bridge Quick Facts". I-580 Freeway Extendion Project. Nevada Department of Transportation. Summer 2009. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Delong, Jeff (March 23, 2010). "Bridge Cracks Will Cost State". Reno Gazette-Journal (Gannett Company). pp. A1.
- "Bridge Openning". I-580 Freeway Extendion Project. Nevada Department of Transportation. Summer 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Galena Creek Bridge.|