|Location||Boulevard Haussmann, Paris, France|
|No. of floors||Five (home store),
four (men's store),
ten (main store)
|Website||Galeries Lafayette department stores website|
The Galeries Lafayette (French pronunciation: [ɡalʁi lafajɛt]) is an upmarket French department store chain. Its flagship store is on Boulevard Haussmann in the 9th arrondissement of Paris but it now operates in a number of other locations in France and other countries. In 2009, Galeries Lafayette recorded earnings of over one billion euro. It is a part of the company Groupe Galeries Lafayette.
In 1895, Théophile Bader and his cousin Alphonse Kahn opened a fashion store in a small haberdasher's shop at the corner of rue La Fayette and the Chaussée d'Antin, in Paris. In 1896, their company purchased the entire building at n°1 rue La Fayette; in 1905 they acquired the buildings at n°38, 40 and 42, boulevard Haussmann and n°15 rue de la Chaussée d'Antin. Bader commissioned the architect Georges Chedanne and his pupil Ferdinand Chanut to design the store at the Haussmann location, where a glass and steel dome and Art Nouveau staircases were finished in 1912.
From 1921 Maurice Dufrêne directed the Maîtrise workshop of the Galeries Lafayette. This workshop for decorative art and furniture followed the Primavera of the Printemps store founded in 1912 by René Guilleré, Paul Follot's Pomone of Le Bon Marché, and the Studium of the Grands Magasins du Louvre.
The Haussmann location, which serves as the flagship store of Galeries Lafayette, is a 10-story structure located at 40, boulevard Haussmann, in the 9th arrondissement of Paris. Galeries Lafayette in Paris hosts a popular weekly free fashion show for visitors.
Stores opened or planned
The store in Berlin in Germany was designed by Jean Nouvel and constructed between 1991 and 1995. It is located on Friedrichstraße two blocks south of Unter den Linden at the Französische Straße U-Bahn station and opened in 1996.
In 2008, the store announced a licensing agreement to open a store in Morocco Mall in 2010. The Casablanca store in Morocco Mall was designed by Davide Padoa of Design International. Galeries Lafayette previously operated a store in Casablanca from the 1920s through the early 1970s.
Galeries Lafayette opened their first store in South East Asia in the summer of 2013 at the Pacific Place Mall. The store occupies more than four floors.
A Galeries Lafayette store opened in Dubai Mall on 18 May 2009. In February 2011, the store unveiled Dubai's first gold ATM. Shoppers can insert cash and receive a corresponding amount of gold nuggets or coins.
Galeries Lafayette has announced that it will open its first location in China by the end of 2014. The Beijing store will be operated as a 50-50 joint venture between the French company and the Hong Kong-based fashion retailer I.T. 
On June 2014, Galeries Lafayette has announced that it will open its first location in Italy. The group have reached an agreement with Westfield and Gruppo Stilo - two leading international mall specialists - to open their first and wholly owned 18,000 m2 store in Milan within Westfield, the expected largest mall in Italy.
New York City
Galeries Lafayette Group
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
The Group owns the following subsidiaries:
- Galeries Lafayette
- Nouvelles Galeries
- Bazar de l'Hôtel de Ville (BHV)
- Lafayette Gourmet
- LaSer UK
- "History". Groupe Galeries Lafayette. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- « Galeries Lafayette. Dans les coulisses d'une machine à vendre », Le Monde Magazine, 19 December 2009, p. 29
- "Galeries Lafayette" (in French). Groupe Galeries Lafayette. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- Samoyault-Verlet, Colombe (2015). "DUFRÊNE MAURICE - (1876-1955)". Encyclopædia Universalis [en ligne] (in French). Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "How to Attend a Free Fashion Show in Paris at Galeries Lafayette". Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Jay Berman (1999). "Galeries Lafayette, Berlin". Galinsky. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- Stewart Todd (1 December 2008). "Morocco: Galeries Lafayette set to return to Casablanca". Just-Style. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "Galeries Lafayette". The Dubai Mall. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "Dubai’s first gold ATM unveiled at Galeries Lafayette". Al Arabiya News. 18 February 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- "Galeries Lafayette to Close New York Store" (Press release). The Free Library. 30 August 1994. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Galeries Lafayette.|