Gallatin, New York
|Gallatin, New York|
Location of Gallatin, New York
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||Thomas Garrick (R)|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||39.6 sq mi (102.6 km2)|
|• Land||39.3 sq mi (101.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,063 ft (324 m)|
|• Density||42/sq mi (16/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0978984|
The Town of Gallatin is on the south border of Columbia County and located 100 miles north of New York City.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 39.6 square miles (103 km2), of which, 39.2 square miles (102 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it (0.91%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,499 people, 609 households, and 414 families residing in the town. The population density was 38.2 people per square mile (14.7/km²). There were 913 housing units at an average density of 23.3 per square mile (9.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.60% White, 0.47% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.73% Asian, 0.40% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.20% of the population.
There were 609 households out of which 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.1% were married couples living together, 6.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.0% were non-families. 25.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the town the population was spread out with 23.1% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 28.0% from 25 to 44, 28.1% from 45 to 64, and 15.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 103.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $42,454, and the median income for a family was $48,393. Males had a median income of $35,500 versus $23,375 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,041. About 2.9% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.5% of those under age 18 and 9.9% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and location in Gallatin
- Elizaville – A hamlet at the west town line.
- Gallatinville – A hamlet on Route 7.
- Jacksons Corners – A location at the south town line.
- Lake Taghkanic State Park –
- Mount Ross – A location at the town line.
- Silvernails – A hamlet south of Gallatinville.
- Snyderville – A hamlet in the northwest part of the town.
- Spaulding Furnace – A hamlet southwest of Gallatinville.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 133.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lake Taghkanic State Park
- Lake Taghkanic State Park information
- Historical information about Gallatin