Galway City Council
|Galway City Council
Comhairle Cathrach na Gaillimhe
|Fine Gael (4)
Fianna Fáil (3)
Sinn Féin (3)
Labour Party (2)
|23 May 2014|
|City Hall. Galway|
Galway City Council (Irish: Comhairle Cathrach na Gaillimhe) is the authority responsible for local government in the city of Galway in Ireland. As a city council, it is governed by the Local Government Act 2001. The council is responsible for housing and community, roads and transportation, urban planning and development, amenity and culture, and environment. The council has 18 elected members. Elections are held every five years and are by single transferable vote. The head of the council has the title of Mayor. The city administration is headed by a City Manager, Joe O'Neill. The council meets at City Hall, College Road, Galway.
Previously styled Galway Corporation, it was founded in 1485 by the Tribes of Galway via a Charter of Mayoralty granted to the town in December 1484 by King Richard III of England. The first Mayor of Galway was Peirce Lynch. The council was dissolved in 1841 and replaced with the Galway Urban District Council. In 1937 it was revived as a borough and in 1986 was raised to the status of a county borough. The council was known (between 1937 the enactment of the Local Government Act 2001) as "The Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the (County) Borough of Galway" when it was renamed Galway City Council.
- Galway City Central (6), consisting of the electoral divisions of Dangan, Eyre Square, Newcastle, Nuns Island, Rahoon, Shantalla, Toghroinn San Niocláis.
- Galway City East (6), consisting of the electoral divisions of Ballybaan, Baile an Bhriotaigh, An Caisleán Gearr, Lough Atalia, Mionlach, Mervue, Murroogh, Renmore, Wellpark.
- Galway City West (6), consisting of the electoral divisions of Bearna, Claddagh, Cnoc na Cathrach, Rockbarton, Salthill, Taylors Hill.
2014 seats summary
Councillors by electoral area
This list reflects the order in which councillors were elected on 23 May 2014.
|Council members from 2014 election|
|Local electoral area||Name||Party|
|Galway City Central||Mike Cubbard||Independent|
|Ollie Crowe||Fianna Fáil|
|Frank Fahy||Fine Gael|
|Billy Cameron||Labour Party|
|Pádraig Conneely||Fine Gael|
|Anna Marley||Sinn Féin|
|Galway City East||Terry O'Flaherty||Independent|
|Michael Crowe||Fianna Fáil|
|Mairéad Farrell||Sinn Féin|
|John Walsh||Fine Gael|
|Galway City West||Donal Lyons||Independent|
|Peter Keane||Fianna Fáil|
|Pearce Flannery||Fine Gael|
|Cathal Ó Conchúir||Sinn Féin|
|Niall McNelis||Labour Party|
- "History of the City Council". Galway City Council. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "2009 Local elections – Galway City Council". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "City of Galway Local Electoral Areas Order 2008, S.I. No. 429/2008". Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "2014 Local elections: Galway City Council". RTÉ News. Retrieved 5 June 2014.