Galway City Council
|Galway City Council
Comhairle Cathrach na Gaillimhe
|Mayor||Pádraig Conneely, FG|
|Political groups||Labour Party (5)
Fine Gael (3)
Fianna Fáil (3)
|Last election||5 June 2009|
|City Hall. Galway|
Galway City Council (Irish: Comhairle Cathrach na Gaillimhe) is the authority responsible for local government in the city of Galway in Ireland. As a city council, it is governed by the Local Government Act 2001. The council is responsible for housing and community, roads and transportation, urban planning and development, amenity and culture, and environment. The council has 15 elected members. Elections are held every five years and are by single transferable vote. The head of the council has the title of Mayor. The city administration is headed by a City Manager, Joe O'Neill. The council meets at City Hall, College Road, Galway.
Previously styled Galway Corporation, it was founded in 1485 by the Tribes of Galway via a Charter of Mayoralty granted to the town in December 1484 by King Richard III of England. The first Mayor of Galway was Peirce Lynch. The council was dissolved in 1841 and replaced with the Galway Urban District Council. In 1937 it was revived as a borough and in 1986 was raised to the status of a county borough. The council was known as "The Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the County Borough of Galway".
- Galway City Central (4 seats), consisting of the electoral divisions of Dangan, Eyre Square, Newcastle, Nuns Island, Rahoon, Shantalla, Toghroinn San Niocláis.
- Galway City East (6 seats), consisting of the electoral divisions of Ballybaan, Baile an Bhriotaigh, An Caisleán Gearr, Lough Atalia, Mionlach, Mervue, Murroogh, Renmore, Wellpark.
- Galway City West (5 seats), consisting of the electoral divisions of Bearna, Claddagh, Cnoc na Cathrach, Rockbarton, Salthill, Taylors Hill.
2009 Seats summary
Councillors by electoral area
This list reflects the order in which councillors were elected on 5 June 2009.
|Council members from 2009 election|
|Local electoral area||Name||Party|
|Galway City Central||Billy Cameron||Labour Party|
|Pádraig Conneely||Fine Gael|
|Colette Connolly||Labour Party|
|Ollie Crowe||Fianna Fáil|
|Galway City East||Terry O'Flaherty||Independent|
|Derek Nolan†||Labour Party|
|Brian Walsh†||Fine Gael|
|Michael Crowe||Fianna Fáil|
|Tom Costello||Labour Party|
|Galway City West||Donal Lyons||Independent|
|Hildegarde Naughton†||Fine Gael|
|Peter Keane||Fianna Fáil|
|Niall McNelis||Labour Party|
†Replaced during term, see table below for details.
|Derek Nolan||Labour Party||Galway City East||Elected to Dáil Éireann at the 2011 general election||February 2011||Nuala Nolan||Labour Party|
|Brian Walsh||Fine Gael||Galway City East||Elected to Dáil Éireann at the 2011 general election||February 2011||Frank Fahy||Fine Gael|
|Hildegarde Naughton||Fine Gael||Galway City West||Nominated to Seanad Éireann by the Taoiseach||July 2013||TBA||Fine Gael|
- "Council Members". Galway City Council. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "History of the City Council". Galway City Council. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "2009 Local elections – Galway City Council". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "City of Galway Local Electoral Areas Order 2008, S.I. No. 429/2008". Retrieved 4 March 2012.